Different platforms. And completion confusion

This forum is for getting help and discussing the main game.

Different platforms. And completion confusion

Postby Seawolf69Legend » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:46 am

So I understand that there's a handful of platforms and I've really tried looking for a straight answer or similar topic in forums but no such luck. So I'll do my best to describe what I'm looking for.

Although there's definitely the issue of multiple platforms. iOS and Android seem to be the go to(wish all dlc was available on steam or gog. Or Google play beta for PC worked for me). With that in mind I have bought every available dlc to date for Android. And when I had iphone also purchased many dlc and the game there as well. But android is my home and number one priority.

1. So does the story/quests available to both platforms vary at all from iOS versions to all android versions? As one style is clearly different with the "classic look" is there anything else different.

2. With buying every single available dlc to android it seems as some are only available for iOS. Such as dragon jade. Am I really missing out? Is there any way to get a true. One platform 100% all dlc?

I absolutely love the game, beaten the core game and several expansions several times. But I don't want to start a full 100% run thru of base game and ALL available dlc with missing expansions. Being a completionist at heart.

3. Will at least all the dlc available on iOS that isn't on Android be available in the future? And will that cause gaps/lapses?

And one thing that has certainly crossed my mind writing this is that there is only one asteroid dlc for Android but 3 for iOS.

4. Is all 3 incorporated into the single one for Android. Or no?

Lastly with Android in mind and all dlc purchased I have yet to see a play order that might make the best sense. For example seen dlc ordered by release or level. But done by level I feel as though that might cause confusion or issues with remembering continuing a certain story later like HOL.

5. is there an order that makes good sense level wise (so as not to be too easy the whole time, or to not get absolutely rocked by every enemy) as well as story continuity in terms of HOL? My guess is there really isn't a great way to go about this.

Reminds me of old school games I grew up on as a kid like might and magic 6/7/8. And really want to give this game some serious full attention that it of course deserves, but with all the questions I have. I find more confusion than anything else and can be disheartening.

I know this is a lot to read. And any and all responses will be read and appreciated. I numbered as best I could for my issues/questions. Thank you in advance.
Seawolf69Legend

Re: Different platforms. And completion confusion

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 am

There is The Quest and our expansion "Islands of Ice and Fire". It has it's old version ("Classic") and updated version which is mainly an audiovisual update. (It has some other polish and bugfixes too but overall the story, quests, etc. is the same, it plays the same.)

All other paid expansions are by Zarista Games (which has Catacomber as the driving force behind it, not discounting anyone else's contribution but from my point of view she is certainly the most visible :) ).

There is one free expansion on iOS (for the "Classic" version) called "Lost Archipelagos". The creator has moved on so that's the only version available.

There are a few free expansions available on the Steam Workshop (which as far as I know are not available anywhere else).

Catacomber has been busy recreating their expansions for the updated Quest for a long while now. (And I really mean recreating because my understanding is that she took the opportunity to significantly rework some of them.) She also released at least one completely new one ("Thor's Hammer").

Our own ("The Quest" and "Islands of Ice and Fire") stand by themselves. Any other expansion isn't set in The Quest's world or has anything to do with it. They are their own separate thing. For story continuity and recommended play order of her expansions I'd try and talk to Catacomber either here (she frequently answers questions here) or her own forum over at catacomber.com.

If you are interested in playing "everything" available, I think playing "The Quest Classic" and all available "Classic" expansions on iOS and playing The Quest, Islands of Ice and Fire and all available workshop items on Steam would cover it.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Catacomber » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:00 am

I will port those other expansions, Attack from Asteroids, Cursed Stone and Dragon Jade to HD this year and next so the only missing one might be Elemental Asteroids because it's so like Asteroids I but if there is demand, I can port that too. The HD versions all have, as Elendil mentioned, new material carefully worked into the old, so it takes a little time to port and test them but that is the plan.

If you think it's important to port Elemental Asterois too so everyone will have a "complete set", I guess new material could be added to make it more different from Asteroids I.
Catacomber

Postby Ezdra » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:54 am

Answer to question 1: no. Expansions are the same. Classic expansions are old versions of the HD ports. There are exceptions - some platforms get updates faster and some may take more time, but overall, they're all the same. What changes is controls and screen size and I guess that's it.

Play order is a matter of choice. You can look at the attack power of weapons in each expansion and order them in the way of increasing weapon attack power.

All you need to start the HOL series is finish at least one expansion before or after the base game (that is, Thor's/Ice&Fire/Asteroids/Cursed etc.)

You can also use Enchant to make up for the lack of levels. There are guides how to enchant - I won't go into it now.

If you don't use Enchant at all, you could play the expansions in the weapon attack power order because there's a recommended level gap between HoLI/II and III and IV, but you can go around it if you enchant (and in HoLIV you don't need to enchant yourself because NPCs can enchant for you).

Speaking of HoL series, HoLI starts with war, in HoLIII the war ends and HoLIV is full of surprises, and yet is overall more peaceful than the previous parts. If stories about wars jar you, you can start from HoLIV, have fun with it to the fullest and then return to HoLI to see how it started with a lot more knowledge of the game setting/lore and powerful weapons so you don't have to struggle much. Why HoLIV? Because you can enchant very easily there and enjoy the stories afterwards. It's a long title full of surprises and strange things, if you're into that, don't wait long ;)

Speaking of asteroids series, I don't remember the series very well because I played them very long ago, but the porting is in progress - after the sequel to Thor's, Cat is planning to port Dragon Jade, and then make some high-level expansions or at least one (levels 100-150), so you won't miss out no matter what platform you play on ;)
Ezdra

Return to General Discussion