placement of monster drops

This forum is for getting help and discussing the main game.

placement of monster drops

Postby duke » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Is it possible to make it so we don't have to move forward one space to be able to pick up monster drops?
duke

Re: placement of monster drops

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:10 am

Monsters drop items where they die. Which seems logical. :)

(I'll write this down as an idea to think about for The Quest 2, but at this point in time we'll not change anything in The Quest, only fix bugs as necessary.)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby MasterAbbott » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:02 pm

duke wrote:Is it possible to make it so we don't have to move forward one space to be able to pick up monster drops?

Ive noticed that if there is nothing on the ground where the monster is most of the time when the monster dies you can click on the ground and the item will be there.

Of course sometimes you'll need to move forward to get it. It's a tricky one this, but as mentioned above when the monsters are in a clear area most of the time you can pick up without having to move forward.
:twisted: Fear The Master :twisted:
MasterAbbott

Postby duke » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:29 am

I'm referring to when being in melee mode, so they'd have to die right next to me, right? It is at least inconsistent. Sometimes they drop where I can pick up without moving forward, and other times I need to move forward one spot.
duke

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:50 am

duke wrote:I'm referring to when being in melee mode, so they'd have to die right next to me, right? It is at least inconsistent. Sometimes they drop where I can pick up without moving forward, and other times I need to move forward one spot.

That's because in the past there were a few cases where monsters died where you can't go (on teleports, which means if you move there to pick up stuff you get teleported, so you can't). Even though no such monster drops are essential to any quest I've tried to help and changed the pickup code to try an work for that case too. It sort of works, if there is nothing "activateable" on that block. But there frequently is, even though you wouldn't think so just by looking at it in game. And "activable" things can run scripts, which I can't know what they do without running them, so I can't decide for you that when you clicked/touched that spot you wanted to pick up items instead of activating something.

There you have it. The Quest is old, wasn't originally written by me (except the graphics code) and it's code is "complex" to put it nicely, even after my many fixes. :lol:
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion