Portings to other systems?

This forum is for getting help and discussing the main game.

Portings to other systems?

Postby StrayCat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Will it be possible to have other portings of The Quest for other systems? I'm going to buy the Nintendo Switch and I'd love to have this game on it. I'm already playng the Steam version with a gamepad and since this game is turn based it plays great that way too.
StrayCat

Re: Portings to other systems?

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 am

We currently have our hands full with The Quest 2. (And me additionally with updating the editor for The Quest so it can be used by everyone.) We plan to implement better controller support for The Quest 2 (The Quest is not exactly controller friendly). Although that'll be good for the PC too, it's main aim is to ease porting to consoles, as we would like to have The Quest 2 on as many platforms as is reasonable. :)

After The Quest 2 is out and can be deemed a success on consoles, we'll more than likely port The Quest too.

Why not port The Quest now?

There are two interdependent reasons. The first, as I've written, is that it's controller support is quite rudimentary. It'll need substantial work to update the user interface for it, which is time we would have to take away from The Quest 2. The second one is that we just don't know how successful the Quest games can be on consoles. We cannot risk spending time (and money) now on releasing The Quest on consoles, when The Quest 2 needs so much work (and will hopefully provide a more dependable source of income).

I can guess a question. ;) When will we release The Quest 2? I don't know yet. If everything goes as planned, this year. If not, next year.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby StrayCat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 pm

This is great I'm really happy to read that probably I'll be able to play The Quest 2 on my Switch and I hope it will be a succesful game :)

Since you are working on your games with consoles in mind, can I ask if you are going to support custom portraits on consoles version too? I really like it in games of this genre, it would be a nice plus :)
StrayCat

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:17 pm

StrayCat wrote:Since you are working on your games with consoles in mind, can I ask if you are going to support custom portraits on consoles version too? I really like it in games of this genre, it would be a nice plus :)

If it's possible, yes.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Consolarificus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:30 am

Elendil, just so you know it's not only one person who wants the see The Quest / The Quest 2 on the Switch, consider me interested as well :) We're seeing a lot of developers port their games over to Switch because the system sells so well and consumers love the hybrid possibilities. And when you start selling games on consoles, you have to consider a physical release too, as there is a very strong core of players who want to physically own/collect their games... Myself included.

As for controllers, I'm still dreaming of a day I can kick back and control The Quest on Android using my Bluetooth controller. But I will say this is the only mobile game I have been willing to play with touch controls. It's just that good.
Consolarificus

Return to General Discussion