Bunch Of Questions Before Getting It

This forum is for getting help and discussing the main game.

Bunch Of Questions Before Getting It

Postby Tract » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 pm

So I just noticed the The Quest games on the iOS App Store(iPhone) and I am planning on getting it/them/one/Idk. There are so many versions that I am still confused after looking it up a ton, reading FAQ's, ect.
If anyone has time to answer any or all of my questions it would be awesome.

1. I know the game is on other platforms, can saves for any of the versions be supported cross platform?
2. If I start by, let's say, just buying the base The Quest game, when I add expansions, how would it affect the ongoing game if added mid game?
3. Since it's a bunch of different apps, can I only play the expansion if I opened that expansions app?
4. How does the save get accessed by all these apps?
5. Does anyone know if the old The Quest will continue to get expansions?
6. Should I get the base The Quest, and add expansions later, The Quest Gold and add expansions later, The Quest HD and get islands DLc later. And why that specific one?
7. Will the new HD game be updated reliably?
8. I saw some stuff about The Quest 2, will characters of any particular version carry over, or 100% new game?
9. Are the hoards of Zanista Games expansions comparable without getting all at once?
10. Will the old The Quest get killed in iOS 11 when Apple nukes 32 bit apps?
11. Is if the Zanista Games expansions are all high quality, will they be making more or are they done for now?

Overall, how safe are saves when adding new expansions to them, can they be cross platform/at least cloud stored, and most importantly, is the old The Quest series or The Quest HD better to invest time into if I haven't played any of the series yet? For whichever, should so get espabsions before making a character or safe to add mid game?

Sorry for so much stuff at once.
Tract

Re: Bunch Of Questions Before Getting It

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 am

1. Yes. Save file locations: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4624
2. It wouldn't affect it in a gameplay sense in any way. All expansions are separate 'worlds'. (Technically, any save will require the expansion after that, but that shouldn't be a prolem.)
3. No. All expansions are contained in the base game. The expansion apps are just for enabling the expansion. (It's a long story why it's done this way. We'll change to in-app purchases in our next game. ;))
4. As you can see by now, there is no need for it.
5. It won't get any new ones. In fact a brand new one is coming for the updated version.
6. Get the updated one. :D (And get the expansions as they get out, of course you can already get Islands. ;)) My understanding is that Zarista Games is planning to update their existing expansions, so you won't miss out on them. And the updated game is the best one. It has received numerous fixes and improvements the old game hasn't (and won't). Islands of Ice and Fire has even gotten new quests (and a much reworked main quest).
(Also, I'll rename the games when I have the time. The old ones to "The Quest Classic" and the new ones to simply "The Quest". This way it'll be consistent on all platforms.)
7. Only the new version has been updated since it has been released. (I just don't have the time to update the old one too. :mrgreen:). The new one will get the new/updated expansions. And of course I'll try to fix any bugs found.
8. 100% new game. And it's highly likely it won't be called "The Quest 2". :lol: When we released The Quest, the name seemed like a good idea, and we can't just change it now. But as many would agree, it's not really a good name... We would like to have a more unique name for The Quest 2, we just don't know what it'll be yet.
9. No idea. Hopefully someone else will answer that.
10. No. It's already 64 bit. ;) (And I'll make sure it stays up.)
11. See before. They just about finished a new one (coming soon, first for Steam). My understanding is that they'll update their existing ones (or at least some of them) next.

Expansions are safe to add, saves can be backuped with iTunes and I highly recommend the updated version. :)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Catacomber » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 am

We (Zarista Games) have finished a new expansion Thor's Hammer for The Quest HD. it's being beta-tested so hold on.

We will then port all our other expansions over time. Very exciting. : )
Catacomber

Postby Tract » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Wow thanks for the response! That's awesome news :D
Is it safe to get the base game and islands in HD and still be able to add your awesome content when it is updated at a later date? Either way I'm off to the App Store. Thanks for solving one of the bigger concerns I had!
Tract

Postby Tract » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Elendil / Redshift wrote:11. See before. They just about finished a new one (coming soon, first for Steam). My understanding is that they'll update their existing ones (or at least some of them) next.

Thank you for responding as well :D
I saw so we're that if you try cross play with Steam it disables achievements, is that true? Or is it more like if I start on my phone I might already do things that would normally result in a achievement?
Tract

Postby Catacomber » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:22 am

Tract wrote:Wow thanks for the response! That's awesome news :D
Is it safe to get the base game and islands in HD and still be able to add your awesome content when it is updated at a later date? Either way I'm off to the App Store. Thanks for solving one of the bigger concerns I had!

I think so. :).
Catacomber

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:15 am

Tract wrote:I saw so we're that if you try cross play with Steam it disables achievements, is that true? Or is it more like if I start on my phone I might already do things that would normally result in a achievement?

Achievements are not saved anywhere. This means you'd have to play with Steam running to get them. (They are never 'disabled' . ;))
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Tract » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks a lot you two! Off to go reincarnate my good ol Morrowind battle mage in a different universe.
Tract

Postby Tract » Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Just kinda wanted to updat, I have completed the entirety of The Quest HD(now just The Quest), and am working through Islands of Ice and Fire, super excited for Thors Hammer, can't wait to take my character on another adventure :D

Off to go terrorize the poor souls of the sunken monastery again :3
Tract

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sun May 28, 2017 6:04 am

Glad you are having fun! :)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion