I don't get it

Forum for discussing Cursed Chess Set.

I don't get it

Postby Alex DeLargest » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

I love The Quest. It is vast, open, and well-realized. It is a fantasy world of colorful characters written with consistency and style.

This expansion, on the other hand, is a garish, uneven, and silly in a stupid, unprofessional way. The writing is broad, constantly breaking the fourth wall and attempting humor that falls completely flat. The environments feel forced and internally inconsistent. You routinely are corralled into situations with no warning or context. Wake up in an abandoned prison cell surrounded by 5K+ armor and weapons items. Knock on a door and instantly become a criminal. Knock on another door and receive a one-time chance to purchase a medical license (?) for 3K. Touch an idol and suddenly a robber gives you 1K.

Did I mention that there are quests based around three blind mice? Or that the starting area is a steam bath and inn named Dante's Inferno? Or that seemingly every piece of land is littered with potions, keys, and weapons just scattered on the ground for your taking? Or that the massive imbalance and ridiculousness of this all serves to cheapen the main game's setting and provides items that completely break the balance of the main game?

I'm not only sorry I bought Cursed Chess Set, I'm deleting it from my copy of The Quest Gold and pretending that I never saw it.
Alex DeLargest

Re: I don't get it

Postby wolf3167 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Was this supposed to be a rant or were you trying to accomplish something here?
wolf3167

Postby notaghost » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am

C'mon you must admit that the spell wedgie is awesome. That's something right? You can kill somebody with a wedgie! From the front! So it's a weird piece of dlc and just knocking on doors can screw you sometimes. Big deal its still fun
notaghost

Postby Prickett » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 am

I'm trying to decide whether to buy this game or not so, what's your guys opinion
Prickett

Postby Audio » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:15 am

The "littering of the ground" is due to the fact that this and one other expansion are to help you get started for the main quest. Which in turn will help you get started on the other expansions. This is a simple silly way to level up an get ready for the real game. Take this opportunity to prepare yourself. You speak as though you are a high level in the main game. This expansion was not for you.
Audio

Postby Prickett » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:57 am

Ok I'll consider it
Prickett

Postby bonesreturns » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:31 am

i'm new to the quest games and i havn't played it that much but so far i really like the game. i have GOLD, LOST ARCHIPELAGOS,escape from asteroids and cursed chess set and i like cursed chess set the most because there is talking monsters, it is easier and like the world. I KNOW ITS ANNOYING WHEN YOU TURN A CRIMINAL FOR DOING NOTHING BUT I SAVE ALOT SO IT DOESN'T MATTER
When you look back at posts from a few years ago and your general writing ability was more comparable to an ape tripping on LSD and slamming the keyboard with its fists than an actual human being...
bonesreturns

Return to Cursed Chess Set