Playing The Quest as a 5 year old - what really happened

Post here about anything which is not about gameplay or the site.

Playing The Quest as a 5 year old - what really happened

Postby Angel The Wonder Dog » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:25 pm

Back in september of 2009 I begged my dad to play what he was playing on his iPod Touch (which the iPod was generation 2 or 3 from what I remember), at first he said "No, this game is for grown-ups"; but then I asked my mom (they're divorced now sadly, but i still see both of them) "can i please play on "Diddy's" (what I call my dad, I didn't know what Nintendo was yet when i first called him that) iPod?" and they talked about it and eventually my dad said "Fine, you may play on my iPod, if you're careful" and i started playing on it.
I opened the quest because I didn't know what it was yet (Obviously) and was curious. I was told to "start a new game" by my dad and did. I saw weapons in my inventory and sold them all because i hated anything with fighting. Then i went out of Matras and went to the graveyard for some reason. I saw a skeleton and ran back towards the village. It was night in the game (and in real life too) and the skeleton followed me to the village. When i got on the bridge I thought "I give up, I am supposed to fight it" so I did. And I barely did any damage to the skeleton and I almost died. I was scared that it would kill me (I'm sensitive and always have been), so i gave my dad his iPod back, I was crying. he saw what had happened. My dad told my mom what happened and she said trying to calm me down "oh honey! You should try to avoid playing scary games next time!" We left the plaza we were (I think eating) at and went home. When we got home I went straight to bed.

Btw my dad told me somewhat recently he joined this forum.
Angel The Wonder Dog

Re: Playing The Quest as a 5 year old - what really happened

Postby Prickett » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:14 pm

How old are you now? How did you learn to love the Quest?
Prickett

Postby Angel The Wonder Dog » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:50 pm

I am currently 18. I started enjoying the quest when I was 9 or 8, I wasn't scared of what happens in the game since then. I asked my dad what he was playing when he was playing the quest on his iPhone 4. And I asked if I can play it. He said that I can, if I act mature about it (something along those lines) so, I did.
Angel The Wonder Dog

Postby Prickett » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:57 pm

I was 13 when I started, and I hated it at first. It was far too complicated for me to enjoy. But I paid like $8 for it so I decided to leave it on my iPod. I came back to it a few months later and learned the way the game works, frequently coming to the forums for help. I’m 22 now, making my own expansion, and still checking The Quest forums every day. :)
Prickett

Postby Angel The Wonder Dog » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 pm

Oh that reminds me to ask: what format is The Quest editor's scripting? I might be interested in that too.
Angel The Wonder Dog

Postby Prickett » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:56 pm

It has its own language, but it’s similar to Java. They let you download the base game file for studying, so most the time I just remember something working in the base game, copy the code, and tweak it so it runs in my world. It takes some getting used to, but definitely try it if you’re interested! It will give you a totally different appreciation of the Quest and all the effort that went into making it.
Prickett

Return to Off Topic