Enabling expansions

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Enabling expansions

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:37 am

You enable an expansion by selecting the "Enable expansion in The Quest" menu option in the expansion app. This brings up The Quest (or The Quest Gold, whichever one you choosed) and the game announces that the expansion has been enabled and please restart to make it fully work.

To enable expansions, you really have to RESTART the game.

However, on iOS4 and newer, this isn't as simple as tapping the home button and touching the game's icon. On newer iOS versions, the game now supports background running (this was required by Chillingo), which is very convenient, but means that the game won't exit just by tapping the home button.

To make it exit, double tap the home button, to bring up the "running or recently run apps" list, find the game, then touch and keep touching it's icon until the icons start to wiggle and a red minus sign appears in their top left corner. Then touch the minus sign on the game's icon to make it exit.

Here is the relevant information from Apple support: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

After this you can restart it by touching it's icon normally and any enabled expansion should work.

Sorry about any inconvenience.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Re: Enabling expansions

Postby Jamie990 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 pm

It may be worth making it clear this only applies to devices on new OS ;)
You have 20 save slots use them all. Save after every quest, save before going into a dungeon, save, save save!!
Jamie990

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:54 pm

It's right there, "on iOS4 or newer". ;)

Fortunately or unfortunately, I think most people upgrade to the latest version, so only very few people are on iOS3 still.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Jamie990 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 pm

My "young" eyes are playing up on me :P And soon I will join the new OS crowd hopefully so I better make a note of this.
You have 20 save slots use them all. Save after every quest, save before going into a dungeon, save, save save!!
Jamie990

Postby MrLiamG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:29 pm

I was just wondering if there is any way of using my existing character in my new expansion, I baught the origional "The Quest" (great fun by the way I been looking for a game like this for ages) when I completed it I then baught "The Quest Gold" but after skimming through the forums I've tried everything thats there, I can't remember where I read you could bring your existing character into the expansions maybe in the app info, but I still can't figure out how to do this HELP!!!!!
MrLiamG

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:38 pm

MrLiamG wrote:I was just wondering if there is any way of using my existing character in my new expansion, I baught the origional "The Quest" (great fun by the way I been looking for a game like this for ages) when I completed it I then baught "The Quest Gold" but after skimming through the forums I've tried everything thats there, I can't remember where I read you could bring your existing character into the expansions maybe in the app info, but I still can't figure out how to do this HELP!!!!!

First, all expansions can be enabled in the main game (that's why they are called "expansions"). You didn't need to buy The Quest Gold to play them...

All enabled expansions are accessible through one of the ports in the main game. Most are accessible from Mithria, by talking to Captain Hanty there. The rest (mostly the low level ones) are from Matras, by talking to Captain Verra. Each expansion lists which one in it's description (both in the App Store and on our site).

That said, don't worry that you've bought The Quest Gold, it's only one dollar more than the included expansions added together, and you can of course transfer any of your saves from The Quest to The Quest Gold. Just see the last topic in this subforum (Transfer save games from iPhone to iPad) for the details on how to do it. Transfer your saves from The Quest to your computer, then back to The Quest Gold. Then you can go to Mithria harbor and start on the expansion you'd like. I recommend the Islands of Ice and Fire, that's the one which is designed to be played after the main game.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Dartak7 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:58 pm

I am try to enable the expansion escape from the astrodroids to the quest. when I click enable expansion in the expansions it opens the quest but I do not get any notification saying the expansion has been enabled. I have tried this multiple times and also checked the in game ports to see if I have installed it. Please help am missing soming obvious like how to enter the expansion or is this technical issue??
Dartak7

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:50 am

Dartak7 wrote:I am try to enable the expansion escape from the astrodroids to the quest. when I click enable expansion in the expansions it opens the quest but I do not get any notification saying the expansion has been enabled. I have tried this multiple times and also checked the in game ports to see if I have installed it. Please help am missing soming obvious like how to enter the expansion or is this technical issue??

This is not likely to be a problem with the game, rather it's likely that your installation of the game has problems. First, try to restart your device (by switching it off, then on). If that doesn't work, delete, then reinstall The Quest from the App Store (you can do the same for Escape from Asteroids, to be sure, although that shouldn't be necessary). Before deleting either game, you should transfer any save files you'd like to use to your computer. Please see this topic on how to do it. After reinstalling, you can copy them back.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Hamps716 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:59 pm

I have completed The Quest HD and Fire & Ice HD on my iPad and loved them. However, I just downloaded the iPhone version of HOL I and when I try to enable the expansion, I get an error message that says I need to have at least version 3.0 of the Quest. It then sends me to the App Store to download the latest iPhone version of the Quest. Is the iPhone HOL I not compatible with the iPad HD Quest? If so, is there a way I can save my character and load it into HOL I? Any help would be much appreciated.
Hamps716

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 am

No, the old expansions are not compatible with the new game, sorry. (That's why the non-HD version of The Quest is still available for purchase.)

The save files are also not compatible. Loading old saves might work (if they don't involve expansions), but loading the new saves into the old game definitely doesn't work.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Rangykoo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:45 am

I have both the original Quest and the new Quest HD. I also have all the expansions for both games. I do all my gaming on an iPad and with Quest HD. I enable all the HD expansions to run in Quest HD, and I also keep the expansions on my iPad as occasionally I like to play them as stand alone games.
My question is, do I have to re-enable each expansion as it is updated, or does the updated Quest HD enable them automatically?
Thanks for a great game.
Rangykoo

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:16 am

You don't have to reenable expansions after an update. And we are glad you are enjoying the game! :)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby icedevice » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm

hey there. i have quest classic on my iphone l. can i install hd expansions and play them with my existing character? do i need to install quest hd first? if that’s the case, how can i migrate my save file from classic to hd?

thanks.
icedevice

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:16 am

You can't play the updated expansions with Classic, only the Classic expansions.
Save files are not compatible. You'll have to start a new character in the updated version to play the updated expansions, sorry.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Captain187 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:45 pm

I bought the quest when it went on sale. I like it so much that I also got a couple expansions. I closed my game and made sure it wasn’t running in the background, then started the expansions and told it to enable it on the quest. It told me that it has to have the quest classic or classic gold then provided me a link which went to safari and said it wasn’t found.

Is this a bug? Does my version not support the expansions?
Captain187

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 am

Captain187 wrote:It told me that it has to have the quest classic or classic gold then provided me a link which went to safari and said it wasn’t found.

Is this a bug? Does my version not support the expansions?

You bought expansions for "The Quest Classic", not "The Quest". (The Quest is the "definitive", updated version, while The Quest Classic, is, well, the "Classic", original version.)
Btw. "Islands of Ice and Fire" is our own expansion, set after the The Quest. All others are by third parties, mainly by Zarista Games. They have their own style. ;)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues