Open-Sourcing The Quest's Engine

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Open-Sourcing The Quest's Engine

Postby MrNobody » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Since pretty much every version of the engine is dead (iOS doesn't have and will never get support for anything other than one old screen size and the other platform versions are outdated), have you considered making the engine source code available so that interested parties (such as myself) could try and make it work on newer platforms?
MrNobody

Re: Open-Sourcing The Quest's Engine

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm

It might happen sometime in the future. No promises though. And I very much doubt that anyone will have the stamina and will to make it work. The code is horrible. :lol: You're pretty much better off creating a completely new game than trying to make it work. (Of course actually creating a new port for The Quest you'd need information on the data formats, the code would be good for at least that.)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Re: Open-Sourcing The Quest's Engine

Postby MrNobody » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:35 am

Elendil / Redshift wrote:It might happen sometime in the future. No promises though.

Well, thanks for considering it!

Elendil / Redshift wrote:And I very much doubt that anyone will have the stamina and will to make it work. The code is horrible. :lol: You're pretty much better off creating a completely new game than trying to make it work. (Of course actually creating a new port for The Quest you'd need information on the data formats, the code would be good for at least that.)

At least if it was open source more than one person could work on and maintain it. If the code (or documentation) is released and I have the time I would love to work on an Android / Java port. I really enjoyed playing TQ back in the day and am somewhat sad that it's no longer able to shine as the pinnacle of mobile RPGs.
MrNobody

Return to Technical Issues