The Quest Steam Bugfixes

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

The Quest Steam Bugfixes

Postby SubZeroBR » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello, I have just registered here because of a problem I have run into, hope it's the first of many posts :)

I've been a fan of Redshift games ever since the early days of Legacy, love those games and have been playing them all those years on Symbian (good old N-Gage) and iOS up to these days.

So I went and got the Steam deluxe version, tried to set the resolution to 4K (3840x2160) and the game crashes me back to desktop with the following box message:

http://imgur.com/a/ScuEV

Any good ideas ? :)
SubZeroBR

Re: The Quest Steam Bugfixes

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:59 am

That's "Unspecified failure", according to Microsoft. Unfortunately it seems something is wrong with your computer (Video card driver, DirectX, Windows, hardware). (The game works without problems in 3840x2160 (and even in 5120x2880) for me.)

Have you tried other resolutions? Have you tried setting your desktop to 3840x2160 and using simple Fullscreen mode? Exclusive fullscreen is usually not necessary to get perfect performance out of the game.

What Windows version are you running and what video card do you have? Maybe it's a driver problem? Can you try a newer (or older) driver version?
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby SubZeroBR » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:46 am

Ok, some more info, I run pretty much every other game I have on Steam without a hitch, like Doom, Dying Light, Witcher 3 and others at 1080p and 4k resolutions. Whenever I try to change resolutions in The Quest only, the game will *always* crash (with all sorts of DirectX related errors, I guess they are different sometimes, I can send screenshots if needed) and get me back to desktop.

And there's an added problem, no matter what I do, after the game crashes, Steam still thinks the game is running, so I open task manager, force shutdown The Quest.exe if it's still running, and Steam will *continue* to say I'm running the game. I have to force close Steam like 2 more times until it says I'm not running the game. If I try to do that after I force close The Quest.exe and still have Steam running and try to run any other game, Steam will say I'm still running The Quest.exe....and it doesn't present this behavior with any other game.

I have an i7 4790k, 32gb ram, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and GTX 1080 on 368.95 drivers.
SubZeroBR

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:40 am

I wouldn't want to completely discount the possibility that it's something with The Quest. In fact, I would be happy to correct the issue, if it's really something I did wrong with The Quest.

However, I doubt it's a problem with the game. It uses bog standard Direct3D 9, including the resolution change. If it were a problem with The Quest, everyone else would have these problems... I just can't see what it could be, currently. (Also Doom uses OpenGL (or Vulkan), while the other games you mentioned use Direct3D 11. The problem could be with DirectX 9 or graphics driver on your computer.)

If you could post those other error codes you mentioned, that might help.

In the meantime, have you tried simple Fullscreen mode?
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby SubZeroBR » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:18 am

I have just now tried to switch to simple Fullscreen as you suggested, and it crashed with that same error window as before. I had to force close the game and try again.

Then I tried to switch it to Windowed mode, and it gave me the exact same error code as well and had to force close.

Then I restarted the game, it was in Windowed mode, I changed to simple Fullscreen mode, the same crash, the same error code.

I'm guessing Windows 10 doesn't run DX9 games properly out of the box with a fresh install ? I don't remember running any other DX9 games since this is pretty much a fresh install of the operating system. I wonder if maybe it's required to install some additional DX9 runtime files in the system and The Quest doesn't have a separate installer for it, so if I install any dll's manually in The Quest directory maybe that could fix it ? Supposedly Windows 10 would handle that just fine with backwards DirectX compatibility....or maybe not.
SubZeroBR

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:29 am

Windows 10 should support DirectX 9 games, however nowadays most new games don't use it, so it might receive less attention for testing. The Quest uses it because it doesn't need anything fancier and this way it works on older hardware too.

Looking around the net it seems others have problems with DirectX 9 in Windows 10 too. (It's a shame, Windows used to be very good at backward compatibility...)

Try installing the following DirectX version (as administrator):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=8109
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby SubZeroBR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:48 pm

Hope you had a good weekend :)

Getting back to you, I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling, and installing DX9 by the link you sent, the bug with the resolution still happens. Maybe trying to copy .dll files directly in the game folder? I just arrived home so I will test that and see what happens.
SubZeroBR

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:00 am

Sorry about the problems. The game does run on Windows 10 (almost half of people on Steam use it), but the few people having similar problems to yours are on Windows 10 too.

You mentioned you've gotten other error codes apart from the one you posted. If they appear again (or the game crashes in another place - the file name and line number in the error report), please post them, anything more might help.

Also, reinstalling the game won't delete the config file (or saves). They are in "C:\Users\<your account name>\Saved Games\The Quest". Try deleting the config file. Or alternatively, you could try editing it. videoMode=0 is windowed mode, videoMode=1 is fullscreen and videoMode=2 is exclusive fullscreen (set fullscreenWidth, fullscreenHeight and fullscreenRefreshRate too to your liking for it). Maybe if you don't change the video mode in game but start with fullscreen directly it'll work. (Although it's really strange that simple fullscreen crashes too, it's just a full screen borderless window...)

You can also try disabling Steam Overlay for the game.

If nothing else works, you can still maximize the window in windowed mode, it should still be quite immersive, hopefully. ;)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby SubZeroBR » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 pm

I've tried fiddling with the config.ini and editing resolutions manually. Something strange happens when I try to setup 3840x2160 and 60hz (also with 2560x1440). The game runs but runs very slow, so I exited the game and went to check the config file, and it changes the refresh rate every time to 23hz, no matter what I do I can't select 60hz.

I didn't try copying the .dll files yet directly to the folder, is there a particular .dll that could help with that ? Maybe I'll just leave it at 1080p 60hz and play the game ignoring that resolution error, the game works fine after launching, but I couldn't really test it for extended periods of gaming, because of the resolution problem that showed up first hahah :)
SubZeroBR

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:15 am

I've just released a new version. Try it out! (You might need to restart Steam to let it download the update.)

You should be able to set whatever refresh rate you wish and not stuck on 23Hz. ;)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby SubZeroBR » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:46 am

Hah, that worked just fine, now I can set the correct refresh rate for 2k and 4k resolutions.

BUT... the error still remains if I try to switch resolutions, message D3D9: Failed to create device. (Error: 2156)

Oh well, I'll set it up at 4k and leave it there, it's just definitely a strange behavior with Windows 10 and DX9 it seems. :)
SubZeroBR

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:17 am

Did a silent update (so restart Steam if it's running to download it). It'll now print a bit more info when crashing at "Failed to create device". Might help me get to the root of this problem.

At the least, you can now play the game without problems, hopefully. ;) Have fun!
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues