Using HD character data on expansions

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Using HD character data on expansions

Postby iwastetimeongames » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi, this is the first time I post here but I've been spending an inordinate amount of time both playing and reading the forum.

One thing I can't find is clear information on whether it is possible to use my character, which I have built through The Quest HD and Islands HD, on the other expansions, which don't seem to exist in an HD version. I'm assuming that's unlikely to be an easy port, so my subsequent question is: is there a possibility to operate on my character data such that I can then use it on the expansions? I have no knowledge of programming whatsoever, but I am guessing it could be possible for those of you with the appropriate knowledge to 'downgrade' the character to the non-HD version of The Quest, so that I can the use it on the expansions. Is that possible?

I have a strong character (pun intended) and I'd rather not play anymore than lose it :cry:
iwastetimeongames

Re: Using HD character data on expansions

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:50 am

I actually don't know if you can use a save or not. There were so many changes I can't remember if there were anything which would clearly prevent it. I wouldn't recommend it, though. It might not crash right away (or ever), but you might run into problems later. The same goes for any "fixes" to the save file. I have no idea if any are needed at all, and if so, where.

As for HD expansions, I'm working on the editor right now (well, not exactly right now, because I'm typing this post :lol:), and when it's ready anyone will be able to create new expansions or update their existing ones. Catacomber (of Zarista Games) expressed strong interest in updating at least some of their expansions. So hopefully you'll be able to play more expansions with your existing saves. ;)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby iwastetimeongames » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Elendil / Redshift wrote:I actually don't know if you can use a save or not. There were so many changes I can't remember if there were anything which would clearly prevent it. I wouldn't recommend it, though. It might not crash right away (or ever), but you might run into problems later. The same goes for any "fixes" to the save file. I have no idea if any are needed at all, and if so, where.

As for HD expansions, I'm working on the editor right now (well, not exactly right now, because I'm typing this post :lol:), and when it's ready anyone will be able to create new expansions or update their existing ones. Catacomber (of Zarista Games) expressed strong interest in updating at least some of their expansions. So hopefully you'll be able to play more expansions with your existing saves. ;)

Thanks for answering so promptly! Just to be clear, does that mean that even non-HD saves could create problems on expansions?
iwastetimeongames

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 am

Non-HD saves will of course work with non-HD expansions. And HD saves work with HD expansions (only Ice & Fire at the moment). Only mixing them could be problematic.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby MasterAbbott » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 am

Waiting for that HD Editor to come out to BAD! haha cant wait to hopefully get more of the HD versions of the expansions to play.
:twisted: Fear The Master :twisted:
MasterAbbott

Return to Technical Issues