The Quest for the New iPad?

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

The Quest for the New iPad?

Postby MasterMike569 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:34 pm

I am curious if Redshift or others plan on developing for the new iPad to create a Quest game or Quest like game to take advantage of the better resolution, graphics and horse power that the iPad provides. The current iPhone versions are great and all but I'd like to see increased view distances and HD sprites and textures. It's sad to see that there are not many games like the Quest available on the app store right now :(. The Quest is truly a legit Classic Might and Magic experience.
MasterMike569

Re: The Quest for the New iPad?

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:07 pm

We are now concentrating on our new game. Our old games, including The Quest will remain as is.

(Before you ask, it'll be a card game, loosely based on the one in The Quest. I'd prefer not divulge more information at this point. We'll release plenty of info, when we'll be nearing release, don't worry. :))

We are a very small company, just two guys, and I'm the only programmer. So we don't have the manpower to do many things. I've seen you've advocated for raising capital in another post. We'd rather not try that, thanks. We prefer to do things this way, at least for now.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby MasterMike569 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply back. It's understandable then being such a small team and you being the only programmer that moving on to larger projects is not favorable at this point. If you ever do expand I'll be sure to keep an eye on your projects as I've been very impressed by The Quest. Thanks.
MasterMike569

Postby OrgnlDave » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:21 am

As I understand it the art assets exist at a higher resolution, for say, PC, right? I'm sure there would be a contractor happy to make an iPad version (one springs to mind: me) payed by percentage of sales profits (thus almost no risk to you financially).
OrgnlDave

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 am

OrgnlDave wrote:As I understand it the art assets exist at a higher resolution, for say, PC, right? I'm sure there would be a contractor happy to make an iPad version (one springs to mind: me) payed by percentage of sales profits (thus almost no risk to you financially).

Actually, no. The graphics used in the iOS version are exactly the same ones used in the PC version.

Believe me, we would have liked nothing more than to release an iPad version of The Quest. But it's just not feasible, apart from recreating it from the ground up.

The Quest was originally created for weak, small resolution handhelds (primarily for the old Palm OS platform), and the graphics were created specifically for those resolutions and memory limits. (The PC version is just an added 'bonus', the game was not really designed for the PC.) Also, the game was mainly programmed by our other programmer, who left us a long time ago, and it's quite hard to change. (I was originally responsible only for the graphics engine, which is completely software rendered, btw. This remains so on iOS, too, it doesn't use OpenGL.) I worked quite a lot to make it work properly on iOS. ;)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby dax123 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:27 am

Elendil / Redshift wrote:
OrgnlDave wrote:As I understand it the art assets exist at a higher resolution, for say, PC, right? I'm sure there would be a contractor happy to make an iPad version (one springs to mind: me) payed by percentage of sales profits (thus almost no risk to you financially).

Actually, no. The graphics used in the iOS version are exactly the same ones used in the PC version.

Believe me, we would have liked nothing more than to release an iPad version of The Quest. But it's just not feasible, apart from recreating it from the ground up.

The Quest was originally created for weak, small resolution handhelds (primarily for the old Palm OS platform), and the graphics were created specifically for those resolutions and memory limits. (The PC version is just an added 'bonus', the game was not really designed for the PC.) Also, the game was mainly programmed by our other programmer, who left us a long time ago, and it's quite hard to change. (I was originally responsible only for the graphics engine, which is completely software rendered, btw. This remains so on iOS, too, it doesn't use OpenGL.) I worked quite a lot to make it work properly on iOS. ;)

wow, that's great !!
your fame has been increased.
dax123

Return to Technical Issues