Thor's hammer is gorgeous! What is Quest HD?

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Thor's hammer is gorgeous! What is Quest HD?

Postby Aeryn Sun » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:05 pm

Just downloaded and started Thor's Hammer with a new character, wow, the graphics are amazing and the sound is even better! My question is: does the current Quest download on the App store have similar graphics, upgraded from the original? I have been going through the original, which I have had for years and am almost at the end. If I purchase the new version, will it (along with F&I) have these new graphics? Also, can I play the expansions with either version of the Quest? I have Mithral, HoL1, 2, 3, lost archipelagos, and just bought Celtic and CSS to follow along. I also see Escape from Asteroids which appears to have several version on the app store, one for the Quest Classic and one for the Quest, so not sure which one to download. Thanks!
Aeryn Sun

Re: Thor's hammer is gorgeous! What is Quest HD?

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:29 am

The game ("The Quest") on both Apple's and Google's store is the updated version. The original version is available on the App Store as "The Quest Classic". (Also available for free in the Steam version.) The expansions are called appropriately ("The Quest - Islands of Ice and Fire" for updated version and "The Quest Classic - Islands of Ice and Fire" for the original version, etc.). They only work with their respective main game.

The updated Quest and Islands of Ice and Fire are the same (with very minor tweaks to gameplay). I don't know about Zarista's updated expansions. I guess they are more or less play the same, though some of them has changed the recommended level (by changing the level of enemies). You'd have to ask Catacomber about the details. ;)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Catacomber » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:03 pm

We made a lot of new expansions for the new updated Quest (HD).

I haven't finished porting all the Quest Classic expansions to HD but plan to. Most have been ported and as Elendil said some starting levels have changed. Have also added material to the expansions to make them a little different, quests, dungeons, etc. and some other things have changed. Some levels that some people found too hard have been tweaked for example.

Most of the guides are still very useful though as the majority of the content is the same.
Catacomber

Postby Aeryn Sun » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:20 pm

Thanks guys. My main question is if I play the Quest HD, can I have that game load the older expansions which have not been updated. The HD versions are so beautiful I would like to play those, but as I have a lot of the older expansions that have yet (?) to be upgraded, can I still use them the newer Quest? IS there a list of expansions that work with the updated Quest? Thanks.
Aeryn Sun

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:51 am

"They only work with their respective main game." As I've written. ;)

You can see all released expansions here and here. I think almost all old expansion got their new versions by now.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues