Features Request

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Features Request

Postby Gofun Dake » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:07 pm

Hello, thank you for "The Quest" (I have GOG PC version). The game mechanics and UI are a blast to use but there are a certain number of things that make interacting with the game a bit awkward. I want to address them in this post and maybe get some of your feedback on them. So without further ado.

1. I didn't find a way to switch between the "Character Tabs" with my keyboard, I need to use the mouse which is inconvenient. I mean your "Stats", "Skills", "Active Effects" etc tabs. The same goes for "Your Inventory" and "Container" tabs.

2. When you buy, loot or stash items you have to press the "Use button" or the "Drop button" to transfer an item. Why can't we just hold it to speed up and simplify the process. Holding "Attack button" to continuously attack works fine but buying, looting and stashing are exempted for some reason.

3. The "Use button" doesn't always pick up items off the ground. I believe this one is a collision effect. If there're other objects like "passable tree trunks" or alchemical plants standing where your loot is, the "Use button" interacts with them and ignores the loot. If there're no collisions however the "Use button" allows you to pick up your spoils.

4. Alchemical interface is only partially keyboard friendly. You need to click with your mouse the spots for 1st, 2nd and 3rd components and then you're allowed to use your keyboard to interact with your plants. I wish we had some keyboard shortcuts to exclude the mouse from the process.

5. I didn't find a way to target a specific enemy with my keyboard, I need the damn mouse again for that.

6. The game crashes semiregularly with the error message: "Error in source\Quest\Display\Driver\D3D9.cpp at line 992. [D3D9: Failed to create texture. Out of memory.]".

Thank you for taking your time and efforts to read through the post.
Gofun Dake

Re: Features Request

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:29 am

Hi!

The Quest is not a new game. It has received countless tweaks and updates throughout the years and at this point in time it will not get updated any more. We are just two guys and we have to concentrate on our new game. Still, hopefully the game is enjoyable enough, as is. ;)

As for problem number 6, can you tell me what video hardware do you have in your machine? As the error message states, the game is running out of memory. I guess you have an old computer?
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Gofun Dake » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:08 pm

I have Asus gl703ge (laptop), which is running Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (M).
Gofun Dake

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:32 pm

According to the internet that laptop should have 4GB video ram (and 16GB ram?). That should be more than enough.

Try updating the NVidia driver to the latest supported (if haven't already done so). You could try checking which other programs are running while you are playing The Quest and perhaps stopping what you can. Otherwise I'm out of ideas, sorry.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Gofun Dake » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:58 pm

Thank you for your time and efforts and thank you for the amazing game that is "The Quest".
Gofun Dake

Return to Technical Issues