Edit Main Games

This forum is for discussing anything related to The Quest editor.

Edit Main Games

Postby jacksnapes21 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Sorry about this stupid newbie question, Can I edit Main Games like The Quest or The Quest: Islands of Ice and Fire with theQuesteditor? not much, it only changes texture characters, weapons. I don't have much time to make the whole map. so I just want to have fun by changing characters with photoshop, like edit Guards to Stormtrooper or highwayman to Carl Johnson LOL :lol: when I'm done I can fight with them.
jacksnapes21

Re: Edit Main Games

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 am

You can't edit the main games with the editor, no.

However you can easily replace any images in game. See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4471

That's on how to replace character portraits but it works for any image. The "data.pak" file in the game's install folder is a normal zip file. You can examine it to find out what images are there and where they are in internal folder hierarchy.

A small snag is that stuff in the world, like guards are transparent and have mipmaps. It might or might not work if you simply replace them with a bitmap (bmp) like with the heads. If the original is transparent, the replacement must be transparent too. So it must be a 32 bit BMP with alpha channel. If it crashes with that, the replacement must be dds with mipmaps.

There are programs to create such. One is https://www.imgtec.com/developers/power ... vrtextool/

To encode the image, select the "DirectX 11" group (any) and "BC3 Linear RGB" format and check "Generate MIPMaps".
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to Editor