"Edit/recolor" default sprites

This forum is for discussing anything related to The Quest editor.

"Edit/recolor" default sprites

Postby NerfemTudo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:05 am

I would like to recolor some of the game's sprites, which cannot be cloned to create a different palette because they only have a single default palette.
I want to know if it is possible for me to extract the sprites from the game so that I can edit them from the outside and then add them in the editor. Or maybe download them from a official source.
NerfemTudo

Re: "Edit/recolor" default sprites

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 am

Hmm. I've used the editor quite long ago but as far as I remember (and after a quick check) you can add new palettes to any new object kind you create using the built in graphics as base.

You can't add new palettes to the existing base object types but that's not needed anyway and readding the graphics wouldn't help.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby NerfemTudo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:49 am

Elendil / Redshift wrote:Hmm. I've used the editor quite long ago but as far as I remember (and after a quick check) you can add new palettes to any new object kind you create using the built in graphics as base.

You can't add new palettes to the existing base object types but that's not needed anyway and readding the graphics wouldn't help.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I want to change the color of a base object (the floor switch) this object only has the '(default)' palette, i cannot create a new palette by cloning through the editor cuz 'The default palette cannot be cloned'.
This happens with every object that have only the '(default)' palette.
Objects like the wall 'Brick01' that have more than 1 base palette can be cloned if i pick one of the following: blue, dark or gray, only the '(default)' cannot.
NerfemTudo

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:53 am

The floor switch object does have other palettes and you can add new ones...

In any case, I won't pretend the editor (or the game) is in any way perfect. :) It might not be possible to do what you want to do.

As for re-adding existing graphics, if you want to, you can do it with any expansion which you only play yourself and don't upload for others to play. If you want to distribute your expansion world, please only add graphics you own or are permitted to use, thank you.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby KGold » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 am

NerfemTudo wrote:I would like to recolor some of the game's sprites, which cannot be cloned to create a different palette because they only have a single default palette.
I want to know if it is possible for me to extract the sprites from the game so that I can edit them from the outside and then add them in the editor. Or maybe download them from a official source.

You don't need to clone an existing palette to make a new one. Just hit 'Add' on the palette tab, set the color using the slides, give your palette a name and you're free to use it from then on.
If you have been really too busy,
And you feel your head being dizzy,
It's recommended to have a rest,
I have a good offer-play the Quest! : )
KGold

Postby NerfemTudo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Okay, thank you for the information :D
NerfemTudo

Return to Editor