Chunk corrupted

This forum is for discussing anything related to The Quest editor.

Chunk corrupted

Postby NerfemTudo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 pm

I just lost a chunk of the surface map after i rename it.
After i renamed a surface map them saved, the game editor suddenly showed an error screen and closed.
Once i re-entered the editor the chunk that i renamed was missing, and every time i try to enter that chunck i get a error message followed by the editor closing:

The Quest Editor v1.0: Error in Dialogs\WorldMap.cpp at line 84.

The chunk in question took me over 2 weeks to get to the point that it was, can i fix it somehow or is it lost forever? :cry:
NerfemTudo

Re: Chunk corrupted

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 am

Sorry to hear that!

Is the map listed amongst the other "normal" maps? You could try renaming it back. (If not, I don't think you can get that back. In fact I don't think you can fix the world now in that case...)

You can't rename surface maps. The name is what indicates the map is part of the surface. I don't think Stewe ever thought about this that's why the editor even let's you...

(I'm sure you are keenly aware now but it's highly recommended to create regular backups of your work (the questworld file).)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby NerfemTudo » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Elendil / Redshift wrote:Sorry to hear that!

Is the map listed amongst the other "normal" maps? You could try renaming it back. (If not, I don't think you can get that back. In fact I don't think you can fix the world now in that case...)

You can't rename surface maps. The name is what indicates the map is part of the surface. I don't think Stewe ever thought about this that's why the editor even let's you...

(I'm sure you are keenly aware now but it's highly recommended to create regular backups of your work (the questworld file).)

Oh, okay :cry:
I can´t rename it back, but i could keep the world by regenerating the surface map. Now at least i just have to redo the chunk that was lost.
NerfemTudo

Postby NerfemTudo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:43 pm

I found an weird interaction with objects in the corrupted chunk when i was redoing the map, basically the editor still has the part that other wise seems to be missing.
When i was redoing the jail i tried naming an object "carm_s0202_jail" however the object name was already in use, curious about that i made a backup and proceed to use another object to take me to the original "carm_s0202_jail" that was supposedly lost in the corruption, then surprisingly i was move to the lost chunk.
I tried renaming it but i already have created another so it didn't allowed me to save the rename, so i just deleted all that was there and i called it a day.
I'm just writing this to document what happened to me.
NerfemTudo

Postby Prickett » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:07 pm

The same thing happened to me when I renamed the map id. Luckily, I had other versions of the expansion in different locations on my computer.

So here’s a bump to this thread reminding everyone to use backups and leave the map id alone!
Prickett

Return to Editor