Jamie990's Quest Editor Guides: Teleporters,stairs,doors.

This forum is for discussing anything related to The Quest editor.

Jamie990's Quest Editor Guides: Teleporters,stairs,doors.

Postby Jamie990 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 am

Hey guys, me again!

This time around I’m going to show you how to connect a dungeon to the surface world allowing a player to move from one to the other :D There are so many different ways to do this so I’m just gonna show you 4 of the most common (and merge the last two as they are the same).

Teleporters
Stairs
Doors
Touching objects

Now none of this is really hard and only the doors and moving players by touching objects involve scripting.

Teleporter
So to start with lets start from the easiest in my opinion. The humble teleporter.

To start with you want to place a teleporter (found in the object list under [block] teleport) and place on on your surface world and one in the drop down dungeon you want the player to be teleported/teleport out of.
They show up as a circle and 3 dots in the editor screen Image

Then you want to give each of the teleports an object id. I’d advise going with something simple and easy to remember like tps for the teleport on the surface and tpd for the one in the dungeon (in my example I used tpc as the one in the dungeon as I named the dungeon crypt.)

Now in the “target” box you want to put the opposite object id. So in the surface teleporter target you would put the id of your dungeon one and vice versa. Then click check to make sure its worked.

As we all know player HATE walking into a teleporter and disappearing into some unknown land, so let’s give them a choice. To do this is very simple, In the “question” box lets type something like “Do you want to step in?”. Do this for both teleporters.

Now it’s time to test it, try walking into one of them. If you did it all right you should get a message asking if you are sure you wish to teleport if you click yes you will be transported to the other teleporter.

Stairs
Now for the next one let’s tackle stairs.

To start with you will want to have some stairs on the surface map and some in the dungeon you wish to connect them to. To place stairs go to [Block] dungeon door then go to stair01.

Now give each of your stairs an object ID a way I use is to use the letters “u” and “d” and have the same name for each. U meaning up and d meaning down. So for my stairs I called them cryptd and cryptu. After giving them their objects IDs change the direction(located under the palette option) so that the stairs in the dungeon are going up and on the surface world they are going down. This isn’t always the case obviously but just in this example it is.

Now this is where stairs get more complex than teleporters. For stairs if you use the other set of stairs as the “target” the player will end up glitched inside the stairs resulting in this.

This isn’t too much of a problem but looks rather messy. So instead we use the position marker as the spot the player will end up at. T make one go to the object list. Place one of these infront of each set of stairs, so the ones on the surface and in the dungeon. Now to give them their object IDs For my example I’m calling them the name of the dungeon (crypt) followed by in/out.

Now that’s done go back to each set of stairs and in the target box enter the object ID of the destination position marker, so if it’s the stairs entering the crypt it will be the position marker inside the crypt and vice-versa.

Again, feel free to add a question so the player gets the option of heading into/exiting the crypt.

Doors/objects

Now it gets a little bit more complicated. But don’t worry using doors and objects to move the player isn’t that hard.
Please note in the examples I will be using a door but you can use any object just follow the same steps.

To start with we’re going to have to place some doors. Go to [city] City Doors and select any type you want. Doors have to be placed on a wall, so to do this hold shift and click at one of the edges on your wall. Do this so you have two doors one inside the dungeon and one on the surface. The door is represented by a brown rectangle on the side of the wall.

Now I bet you’ve guessed the next bit right? You haven’t! Well let me tell you, it’s object ID time now. Yep so give each of the doors its own ID can be anything you like.

Now like what you did with the stairs and for the same reason place a position marker infront of each door. Give each of them an object ID and you’re ready to go onto writing the script for the doors.

This is a very simple code really, with multiple variations you can use.
The first I will show you is one which gives the player an option wether or not to go inside (or outside).
For the door inside the crypt to exit this is the script I used.
if(evtuse())
player.movequestion("tuts_co","Do you want to step outside?");
It very simly means that if the player touches it, then they get a yes/no message asking if they want to leave and go outside. The “tuts_co” bit it the object ID of the position marker.

The next way is very similar, just this time the player doesn’t get an option wether or not to go in once they have touched the door.
if(evtuse())
Player.move("tuts_ci");

Again if(evtuse) means if the event is “use”. The player move bit is self explanatory, the player moves to the position which is in the brackets, in this case a position marker.

Hope this was useful, remember all these work for connecting anything I just used the example of surface world to dungeon as it's a common one. But these can be used for doors in dungeons to other areas or anything :)
You have 20 save slots use them all. Save after every quest, save before going into a dungeon, save, save save!!
Jamie990

Return to Editor