the king of torture beta

The place for discussing and testing currently developed expansions.

the king of torture beta

Postby Wastelandwalker123 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 am

hello everyone i will be posting a small beta of the map im making on the steam workshop please test it out and have fun with it :D also please notify me of any bugs or suggestions
Wastelandwalker123

Re: the king of torture beta

Postby Wastelandwalker123 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:45 am

sadly i will be stepping away from the editer and any internet for a few weeks
i am having a hard time dealing with some stress in my real life but in the mean time i will be reading my medievil novels for ideas on my map

sorry for any inconvenice this has caused but i promise when im back i will hammer down on the map
Wastelandwalker123

Postby Spam Troll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:07 am

Wastelandwalker123 wrote:sadly i will be stepping away from the editer and any internet for a few weeks
i am having a hard time dealing with some stress in my real life but in the mean time i will be reading my medievil novels for ideas on my map

sorry for any inconvenice this has caused but i promise when im back i will hammer down on the map

Good luck!
The ancient and legendary worlds will still be here when you get back, be it weeks, months, years or forevers. :?:
Spam Troll

Postby KGold » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Checked it out. As I can see, you're at the very beginning of the development process, but I'm posting my suggestions here based on what I saw, anyway 8-)

Some advice on building the environment:
- When placing grass/flowers/mushrooms, maybe small rocks, use the 'group of objects' option in the editor. It allows you to place multiple pieces of the selected item onto the units (squares) of the map. It looks cool and gives the environment a more natural look. Use it with trees for forests, if you wish.
- Place a roof onto each house in settlements. If you go for a larger town/city, make multi-story buildings by placing wall blocks on the upper level. (side note: Two kinds of roofs are available in the editor. Use the ones in the 'roof (on a wall)' tab for houses, they must be placed on the first level (!) and use the ones in the 'lonely roof' tab in case they're supported by pillars, for instance. However, this type of roof must be placed on the second level.
- Apply decorations and try to leave few squares/walls blank on the map. I think they make the game a hundred times more enjoyable. I personally always use some cracks/reliefs on walls whenever I see there's a large blank surface in front of me.

As for the written part of the expansion:
- Capitalize the first letter of the sentences. Texts are highly important in RPG games, and dialogs/tables in all lowercase letters make them look like as if they were kind of neglected. :? (p.e.: shopkeeper -> Shopkeeper)
- Use greetings for NPCs. There are pre-written ones in the base game, which can be accessed by clicking the 'Add shared' button below the 'Greetings' window. (not obligatory, they just add a lot to the game's atmosphere)

I think it would also be better to send the file to someone for testing before publishing it to avoid bugs and mistakes. But that's up to you. ;)
Anyway, consider these small tips when you get back to building the map, I hope I could help. ;)
If you have been really too busy,
And you feel your head being dizzy,
It's recommended to have a rest,
I have a good offer-play the Quest! : )
KGold

Postby Catacomber » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:58 am

Wastelandwalker123 wrote:sadly i will be stepping away from the editer and any internet for a few weeks

Real life always takes first place. And don't give up on making your expansion. I remember when I was learning to use Redshift's Legacy editor eight or so years ago and didn't know for the life of me how to place a door on a wall or go in and out of a door. I had the good luck of someone who helped me. I hope you will be able to deal with your stress and flourish. Life is long (hopefully). Stress comes and goes but when it's there it's really, really horrible. It can affect your mood and your health and your relations with other people. You have to find ways to fight it or alleviate it. So good luck and try to relieve your stress!

I got a lot of my ideas from medieval novels. I love to read those and books about medieval herbs and sayings and life and just about anything related.

You don't have to hammer down on the map. You just have to love it as your creation and take things one step at a time, like I did.

Do it as long as it's enjoyable for you.

And keep in mind one thing---you're the first person other than Elendil to put up a new free expansion on Steam that is an ORIGINAL work-no matter whether it had any flaws or not---you are the king of new betas. Terror's Returnal is a remake of an old game.

When those of us who were using the old Legacy editor were doing betas we just had fun with it. We didn't care about whether our betas were completely playable or not---it was the most wonderful time of my game-making experience. I can probably never re-experience that time but it made me love gamemaking.

Just love your expansion and work on it when you can. I think you may have tried messaging me on Steam once or twice but I can't see messages on Steam for some reason---not even from my betatesters. I'm a little bit lame about using Steam.
Catacomber

Postby Wastelandwalker123 » Sun May 08, 2022 9:19 pm

thank u so much for the kind words :) its been a long grind but im finally getting back into the main grind :) i got a brand new laptop and desktop and ive did some coding on the side and learned alot of things that will help in the upcoming months as I work on a brand new map (lost all files to the king of torture sadly) so heres somewhat a road map of the newest installment. The last ambroisa!

-firstly im gonna just focus on getting myself used to the editer again its been like 5 years lol

-the map will be the first thang made once the map is made I will playtest the map edit where needed and slowly base the story around the areas

-some of the story has been thought out already and will invole old rome myths and legends

-areas planed atm:
underworlds volcano -a long dungeon that will lead to the harder side of the map where you will face the detisins of the underworld

heavens reach - this will be a quick teleport loctaion where you can teleport anywhere on the overworld map. unlocked after helping zeus collect 10 lighting bolts hidden around the map

the golden coast- a tribe of orc natives of claimed one of the coasts due to its rich admount of gold in the sand after working with the chief you may trade with them for hints and items (mostly hints to learn about the underworlds and its secert entrences.)

but thats everything i have atm but i would like to say again thanks for everything guys i know its been 5 6 years but its awesome being back
Wastelandwalker123

Return to Expansions in Development