Hero of Lukomorye II: how difficult would you like it to be?

The place for discussing and testing currently developed expansions.

Hero of Lukomorye II: how difficult would you like it to be?

Postby DeMenchev » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:10 am

In my view, (and it is only my rough estimate so far) it's a higher level expansion than our heroes that have been through every available expansion - 35 or 32, like in the old days. The difficulty won't be changed.The gear and the rewards, as well as the difficult encounters reflect the high level requirement. The question at hand is logical continuity. Do you think we should or shouldn't compromise on that? My plan (which is debatable) is for us (testers) to balance one of the next expansions for level 28 as something to play between Luko I and Luko II, but you'll have to wait months for that. You will be able to play Luko II smoothly without it (with what expansions are available) if you play well (find what's effective and keep using it) and/or have put your characters through a lot. There is a lot in Celtic Rift and Luko I, but we don't want to encourage grinding to level up or enchanting because there are people who don't enjoy that.

So, how do you feel about having a choice to buy an expansion that is recommended for higher levels than yours? How do you think about the level recommendations: as warnings (difficulty meters) or requirements? There's no correct answer - the answer should be what you feel.

Stuff is intense in Luko Tainted Blood, friends.
DeMenchev

Re: Hero of Lukomorye II: how difficult would you like it to

Postby DeMenchev » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:17 am

I'd also like to ask for detailed opinions of those who have tried Luko I but quit in frustration. How many of you have found it frustrating? Do you think it would have been better if the recommended level was higher?
DeMenchev

Postby salacy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:13 pm

I thought Luko 1 was great! Well balanced with a good story line. Since Luko 1 required a high level to start, I think Luko 2 should be the same. Lower levels are too easy and not as fun. I prefer the challenge.

Also, I bought Thor's Hammer and played it stand alone while waiting for Luko 2. It was excellent and well thought out. Great job!
salacy

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 am

@Salacy: Luko 2 was already released... :)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby fergusof » Thu May 03, 2018 11:10 am

DeMenchev wrote:I'd also like to ask for detailed opinions of those who have tried Luko I but quit in frustration. How many of you have found it frustrating? Do you think it would have been better if the recommended level was higher?

Difficult? Yes, very! Not because it's clever though. It's frustratingly maddening. I'm level 31 and haven't found anyone I can't beat. No, the difficulty is because the developer just threw roadblocks in front of most quests. To do this, you have to go here, but you can't go here because there are impassible trees or other barriers blocking you. So, you have to find out by shear dumb luck how to get to a different part of the map. Or you have to stumble into a room or talk to someone who can transport you there. And then you have to remember how you did that, so you can go there again.

I'm on day 132 and most quests are unfinished. I hate to quit because I'm a typical OCD who 'must' finish every game and visit every square. But I 'am' quitting and won't buy any other Quest series game. Tap every friggin' wall in a dungeon because 'maybe' the wall will provide a clue. Walk around this forest tapping trees, bushes, or the ground like a blind person because 'maybe' the answer is there! And there is very little help compared to most games. And when I do find some help, it's Catacomber "Go to my website and I'll give you a clue." Or "I'll PM you!" I'm ready to scream. The Quest original and Islands of Ice and Fire are nothing compared to this. Sometimes, after a few days of playing, I just want to walk through the rest of it and buy the next expansion.

I've been a gamer since the 80's -- and have never been this frustrated. I am done!
fergusof

Postby Catacomber » Thu May 10, 2018 5:40 am

I always try to answer questions here. I don't think I've ever used "I'll pm you" unless someone was asking me about betatesting. If I did, quote me and I'll apologize. If you have a problem with any quest, just ask in the Luko II forum here. I spend as much time here as at my own forum. I don't see where you have any posts here other than this one. If I'm wrong, please point me in the direction of the unanswered posts. Thanks. I checked your profile and it appears that this was your only post so I don't see how you ever gave me a chance to help you.
Catacomber

Postby Throbbinwood » Sat May 19, 2018 4:02 am

This topic is old, but I've found HoL 2 to be FAR superior to HoL 1.

The map in Luko 1 sucked - no other way to explain it. Luko 2 has a challenging but mostly navigable map.

Fights in both are somewhat challenging. Potions basically kill that, but diseases bring back a challenge.

Luko 2 has lots to explore. Luko 1 has lots of annoying walk around for days garbage.

Luko 1 has a few unkillable enemies, Luko 2 has hundreds - Luko 1 is less annoying here.

Luko 1 has TONS of blocks and webs which require special weapons. So does Luko 2. Mildly annoying.

Luko 1 has annoying "find my missing bull$#*%" quests. Luko 2 has tough but fun puzzles.

I like what Cat has done, even if it frustrates the snot out of me sometimes. She has a society, an aristocracy, recurring characters, and she made it HARDER. You want grindy "kill 20 of these easy monsters" quests? Final Fantasy.

I've been gaming since the 80s too. Luko 2 is an improvement, but I like the ideas, and I can't wait to play more and see your skills grow, Cat.

Oh, and I want to become a member on your forum, but it keeps telling me to wait for approval.
Throbbinwood

Postby Eibon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:05 am

I'd love to see the combat difficulty raised and less of the annoying roadblocks that plagued Luko1. Some of the convoluted maps and quests really took the fun out of it.
On future expansions, I'd also be nice to have the vast openness of the first two games. Not sure if this would be possible, but what about adding a difficulty level that can be changed during the game? I made a similar post like this on another board as I think it would add a lot more longevity to the series. That's just my two cents.
Eibon

Postby Catacomber » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:17 am

All our Quest expansions are smaller worlds because that seems to be more stable when you have so many expansions, so the "vast openness" is not really a good idea for the expansions if we continue to make them. The game engine has to search over vast quantities of objects with so many expansions--tidier expansions make this more viable.

Have tried to add some difficulty levels by making it necessary in some expansions to be a higher level in certain areas. We used to do different difficulty levels when we first started the expansions but that is an enormous amount of work for Redshift to port and not necessary in my humble opinion as we focus on the story and quests. There are usually some areas in each expansion that are harder than others.

What is it about the fights that aren't challenging enough? The length of time they last? We got some complaints when they lasted a long time that they were boring. The level of the monsters?

What is an 'annoying roadblock' and a 'convulouted map' and a 'convoluted quest''? We try to please but can't please everyone. Yet, we try. It's not feasible to completely redo ports of the older classic versions of our expansions. It would be easier to try to please in new expansions but it depends on what you're asking.

Most players don't seem to mind our convoluted maps, annoying roadblocks and convoluted quests. In fact, they seem to find joy in those, particularly in convoluted quests. Not everything is just killing monsters. A lot of our players play for reasons having nothing to do with the difficulty of the monsters.

Anyway, HOLII and HOLIII are already out and they are what they are. : )
Catacomber

Return to Expansions in Development