The Quest II

News and suggestions during the development of The Quest's sequel.

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Because some of you asked for new art in a different topic, here are a few things. So yes, TQ2 IS in development. :) But please understand that I can do nothing now, just waiting for Elendil to finish the game's world editor. He said yesterday that within a month he will be ready with an usable version, so at last I'll be able to build the world. After that, as soon as I can I'll post some screenshots here, I promise! :)

So, on the first two pictures you can see frames from some of the new interior animations (there will be 15 of them): the jewelry, the gambling house, the dark crypt (all stuff related to necromancy, blood magic and demonology) and the witch lair (all stuff related to maleficium and quackery).

Image

Image
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Here are some non-player characters from the game which will walk around mostly in the cities (there are 25 different types, The Quest contained only 5), including a nobleman, peasant woman, sailor, friar, adventurer, merchant, some children, old man etc.

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:24 pm

And here are some monsters - yeah, monsters from TQ2! Including the fearsome Lich! The powerful Ram Demon! A Barbarian Woman from the snowy north! And a tricky Ranger from the nearby forest! :) All of them has own, special abilities - and of course all monsters are finished for the game, waiting for me to put them inside the world.

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby Reckoner » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Those look fantastic! I especially like the old man, the Ram Demon and the Lich. You said the monsters have 80-100 frames each, and that you hand draw them all, right? That's incredible. The hand drawn style creates a unique aesthetic not seen in many games these days. Can't wait to experience the art in game!
User avatar
Reckoner
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Yep, that's not 3D as usual nowadays, that's 2D art. And yes, they have around 100 animation frames each, including 3-4 different attack variations, and a death, so at last you can see them all die (that can be very satisfying after you beat them!) and you can rob their corpse if you want. :)

Gerganwulf: sorry I don't think there will be vampire or werewolf race. But yes, you will meet with some very cool new diseases! :)
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby Reckoner » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 am

Sylon / Redshift wrote:so at last you can see them all die (that can be very satisfying after you beat them!)


That's one thing The Quest lacked, huh? Thinking back to when my journey first began, it was a bit jarring when I killed my first monster and it simply vanished. I got used to it, but death animations are for sure a welcome change. :D
User avatar
Reckoner
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Prickett » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:56 pm

Wow these look incredible! Very excited to see them and hear about the progress you two are making
Prickett
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:39 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: The Quest II

Postby imran » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Wow indeed!!! Those look gorgeous, can't wait incredible that those were drawn by hand, very impressive
imran
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby Schicko » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Damn those look super cool Sylon! I especially like the lich and the ramdemon, the latter of which reminds me a lot of the Barons of Hell from Doom.
User avatar
Schicko
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:02 am
Location: In your inventory

Re: The Quest II

Postby speedux » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Because some of you asked for new art in a different topic, here are a few things. So yes, TQ2 IS in development. :)


Reckoner wrote:The hand drawn style creates a unique aesthetic not seen in many games these days. Can't wait to experience the art in game!


Thats exactly what I wanted to say about arts made by Sylon.
Most fantasy games use cartoonish or fairy tale for kids style.
This completely breaks immersion like for me, so I am very hungry for TQ2 with its more mature and atmospheric experience.
These works are just perfect.
speedux
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 11:17 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks, guys - doing our best, as always! :)
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby Gabriel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Is there anything resembling an ETA? Q1-4 2020? 2021? Anything?
Gabriel
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:06 pm

As they said at id Sotftware back in their golden years: "When it's done". :) Sorry, I really can't say anything more, it doesn't depend on me.
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby Zooberdude444 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 am

Wow I am so glad this game isn’t dead in the water. I had sort of forgot about it for the last few years, then I was looking through old apps in my phone and saw it. I thought, “Hey, I wonder if TQ2 is still in development?”

I’m happy to see that yes, it appears to be very much alive.

Thanks for keeping on. Do you guys have a kickstarter or a donation page we can fund?
Zooberdude444
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:15 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for the nice words! No, we don't have Kickstarter but of course you can donate at any time on our site (www.redshift.hu - the "Donate" button on the top).
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby KGold » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 pm

The new art looks astonishing! :o
All I can say is a big thank you for the dedication you guys have!
If you have been really too busy,
And you feel your head being dizzy,
It's recommended to have a rest,
I have a good offer-play the Quest! : )
User avatar
KGold
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby istara » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:30 am

Absolutely can't wait for this game!
istara
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby Keltos01 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 am

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Yep, ingame would be good... Mostly because then there would be lights and shadows on the walls. (Of course TQ2's lighting engine will be much better than TQ's.) So Beckie, that light on the gothic wall is just a drawing now, but when there will be real light source placed on that object it will look even better. : ) Thanks for the nice words! Hopefully around the end of this Winter I will be able to post some very simple but real ingame screenshots too.

how far are you yet with TQ2 ? I play on android and love the quest
Keltos01
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:34 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby Reckoner » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:14 am

I'd also appreciate an update. It's been about half a year since we last heard anything about TQ2's development! :shock:
User avatar
Reckoner
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby DeMenchev » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:06 am

Let's all help announce the game when it's almost ready, I believe we all await great variety and adventurous quests (and everything you remember from playing The Quest, but even better), so it's not very hard to write authentic posts about our times with The Quest.
DeMenchev
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby DeMenchev » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:42 am

A suggestion for future games, whatever they may be —
A peaceful solution to fights.
Perhaps a "mercy" kind of function as in Toby Fox's Undertale.
And it needn't cause strong feelings and make the player feel "morally superior".
It's great if the game is dark and just like The Quest.
It's just an option to not decrease difficulty, but to be merciful, and it's deep enough to be all the rave.
I'm surprised I'm not finding more RPGs where you are not forced to directly participate in violent acts all the time from the very beginning.
"Clean way" and "Calm" are nice kind of "peaceful" spells, but I'm thinking about something more infallible, something that can spare and leave a mark on the story (or not)
One possibility I can think of making this a thing is, for example, letting you spare your combatants when their hp is 50% or lower (low enough to prove you can kill, but not too low to make it too hard not to actually kill)
Or some talk function, but that may be too much work and a simpler way may be enough.

The thing is, in games where you don't have to resolve anything with violence, for example, have an option to run from every fight, even though sometimes you have to kill because it's a story fight and you have been attacked by assassins or soldiers that got an order to get your head, AND every monster's level scaling to the player's level so no boss becomes more difficult, this becomes brilliant already, even for games that aren't supposed to be "pacifist" at all. 99% of the fights in such games don't contribute to the story.

So, a third suggestion might be making all fights optional, except for bosses, who would scale to player's levels so you're able to fight them no matter what your level is.

Any ideas how it could work out in a classic combat-based RPG?
DeMenchev
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby kohlrak » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:05 am

DeMenchev wrote:A suggestion for future games, whatever they may be —
A peaceful solution to fights.
Perhaps a "mercy" kind of function as in Toby Fox's Undertale.
And it needn't cause strong feelings and make the player feel "morally superior".
It's great if the game is dark and just like The Quest.
It's just an option to not decrease difficulty, but to be merciful, and it's deep enough to be all the rave.
I'm surprised I'm not finding more RPGs where you are not forced to directly participate in violent acts all the time from the very beginning.
"Clean way" and "Calm" are nice kind of "peaceful" spells, but I'm thinking about something more infallible, something that can spare and leave a mark on the story (or not)
One possibility I can think of making this a thing is, for example, letting you spare your combatants when their hp is 50% or lower (low enough to prove you can kill, but not too low to make it too hard not to actually kill)
Or some talk function, but that may be too much work and a simpler way may be enough.

The thing is, in games where you don't have to resolve anything with violence, for example, have an option to run from every fight, even though sometimes you have to kill because it's a story fight and you have been attacked by assassins or soldiers that got an order to get your head, AND every monster's level scaling to the player's level so no boss becomes more difficult, this becomes brilliant already, even for games that aren't supposed to be "pacifist" at all. 99% of the fights in such games don't contribute to the story.

So, a third suggestion might be making all fights optional, except for bosses, who would scale to player's levels so you're able to fight them no matter what your level is.

Any ideas how it could work out in a classic combat-based RPG?


In morrowind there's a vampire mod that lets you basically spare any human who doesn't respawn if you have high hand-to-hand skill. I found the concept quite interesting, and if the Quest II would allow allies you could use this to interesting effect. I think we can do this already with The Quest I, though, just not with allies. The problem is, to get expected quest outcomes, the quests must accept them as dead or need a condition that explicitly allows for this.

As for why more games don't do it, that's obvious: in Undertale the people are all "good" and Frisk is pre-supposed to be a villain, so it makes sense. For most other games, remember that, odds are, you' taking on a quest, because the person you plan on hurting in the end has been doing really bad things, and is likely a genuinely bad person. Unless you're incarcerating, there's not likely to be a peaceful outcome that doesn't ultimately imply a high potential for repeat offense. You don't talk a slave trader out of the slave trade, because that's an existential threat, so he must genueinly fear the end of his life, be incarcerated, get addicted to drugs, etc. The vampire slave idea, i don't know how well it'd work without being able to make a posse, where respawning enemies could become a problem if you wanted to stow mass amounts of people.
User avatar
kohlrak
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Soldat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:06 am

I like the more retro low res sprites and textures of the old games better. These higher res people look derpy, and when everything is in motion it feels uncanny. Others feel the same way. For proof, go back and look at the difference in comments when you guys "remastered" the OG quest with the higher res assets and you will see the negative comments. Fortunately for you, you can have both if you are willing to just take the assets you have now into photoshop and 'pixelise' them so to speak... you could just try it out on a few sprites and share them here for fun :D
Soldat
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:56 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby speedux » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Soldat wrote:I like the more retro low res sprites and textures of the old games better. These higher res people look derpy, and when everything is in motion it feels uncanny. Others feel the same way. For proof, go back and look at the difference in comments when you guys "remastered" the OG quest with the higher res assets and you will see the negative comments. Fortunately for you, you can have both if you are willing to just take the assets you have now into photoshop and 'pixelise' them so to speak... you could just try it out on a few sprites and share them here for fun :D


It is about personal preferences.
Some people will like pixelated, some will prefer hi res.
I liked original The Quest (both, on pocket device and PC), but for me, I was also so surprised that remaster looked better than I could imagine.
I play a lot old games since 90s up to today, I like 2D pixel art in latest indie productions and I also 2.5D in first person games, but I know many gamers who do not and they wonder how someone can like it.
From my side, I do not like games in graphic style like japan, manga, caricature cartoon, too much bright and colorful, childish.
With few exceptions, I skip such games, no matter how good gameplay they have, but I see that many people like it.
In The Quest 2, it would be a good idea to give option to choose between low and hi res to satisfy two different gamer preferences.
They could use some proper code to pixelize graphics "on the fly" by game engine without need to edit, but still, drawing them manually from the scratch would look better due to detail precision (in cost of more time).
speedux
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 11:17 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby DeMenchev » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:28 am

Liking older forms more than new ones can be an illusion in the perception of beauty. The looks are also not what guaranteed commercial success up until now, the reasons could me many (algorithms, sending wrong messages to the inner GPS, or RAS, with fear etc. if those who researched it knew the full picture, potential players might have gotten unreceptive due to the magnitude of data or aggressive marketing, which is not set in stone, it's in the process of change, and other reasons I'm not even potentially aware of)

And Soldat, please be more specific, who are "others" that feel the same? Friends? Reviewers? Is there a way to pinpoint what exactly doesn't feel exactly right? Maybe it's just a ghoul looking less creepy? It could spoil the feel for old players. But there are definitely many ways the game got better.

The most important game is probably the sequel in development. It could rock the house in a way you would just find what you need.

...or nostalgia could get so strong you would love to play old games that are not sold anymore. Hopefully, there will be an opensourced way for games to be optimized not only by the developers, without violating copyright laws and stealing anything. If there's no legally secure way yet, it can't be done yet. Hopefully stores wouldn't just clean everything up that's not "optimized" with their OS updates, they would also care for developers' security in the future. It would make sense.
DeMenchev
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Quest II

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest