The Quest II

News and suggestions during the development of The Quest's sequel. (Title is work in progress.)

Re: The Quest II

Postby wolf3167 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 am

Wait a second Sylon, I never said that TQ2 was dead, I just meant that the last post was a month ago and that I was thinking that it was time to be done with the "add multiplayer" requests. Sorry if that was misconstrued. Also, I definitely am still looking forward to your card game.
wolf3167

Postby abstractcolors215 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:25 am

As always, I'm looking forward to The Fantasy Card Game too, and, of course, Quest2! :]
Beckie
abstractcolors215

Postby Catacomber » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:59 am

@wolf3167, I understood your comment to be directed at the multiplayer aspect. I don't think anyone can hold that against you. And you generated some good dialogue. : )

I'm ready to work with Redshift on the Quest II whenever it's ready. : )

I certainly don't think of it as dead. Sometimes you have to wait. : ) Meanwhile, I keep myself busy.

If they want to do the card game first, that's fine. We'll enjoy it. I've never seen Redshift put out anything I didn't get a great deal of pleasure from. Also looking forward to the card game.
Catacomber

Postby TheObsidian » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:51 am

Sylon, have you ever thought about doing a Kickstarter/GoFundMe/Patreon once you get a playable beta up and running for TQ2? It could help with the extra income to get the development of the core game started.

There's also the idea of expanding TQ2's outreach through social media to get more folks interested in and to try out the old games before the release of TQ2. Just a thought 8)
"This won't stop your soul from getting ripped out, but at least you'll look good when your corpse hits the ground."
TheObsidian

Postby Keysmaster » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:45 am

Sylon... I couldn't agree more with Obsidian. You should start some type of kick-start campaign where current and future fans could help fund you. I know I would.

I am so excited for The Quest 2 and have been missing The Quest ever since I switched from Apple to Android a few years ago. I would also be extremely interested in beta testing:)

I wonder if you could start a Facebook fan page and gain more fans of your amazing games that way... I'll do whatever I can to help...

PS. Hi Cat
Keysmaster

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks for the ideas about Kickstarter (and usually here comes the "why don't we put The Quest on Steam" idea too : ), these things appears from time to time here on the forum. I already checked this possibility last year and went through all advantages and disadvantages of it and decided not to bring our projects to Kickstarter. We need the freedom we have now, with no deadlines and other restrictions and needings during the development. Also we don't think we have enough fans now to make this project workable there. (The "inactivity" of the last few years drastically reduced our previous fanbase - even the "Donate" button on our site seems like an invisible thing since years. : )
Anyway, of course we'll be working on expanding our fanbase when it will be time for that. Part of that will be a Facebook fan page too, yes! But the most important thing will be a new game. Hopefully the cardgame will be a good start to gain some interest again.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby TheObsidian » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:01 am

Deadlines can be a hassle. Part of being an independent team is the fact that you can do things at your own pace and not having to worry about pushing out a game due to that. The quality would go down, I'd say, since TQ is a very good game, as well as its expansions made by you guys and the rest of the folks here on the forum (Looking at you Cat, etc.!). So I can see why Kickstarter isn't gonna be a good idea for you.

As for the fanbase I'm glad you guys are gonna make a facebook page. I'll most likely reactivate my old one once TQ2 comes out. Cheers! And good luck with the development of the card game!
"This won't stop your soul from getting ripped out, but at least you'll look good when your corpse hits the ground."
TheObsidian

Postby Prickett » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:08 am

Make a Twitter page too.
Prickett

Postby DefiantNephilim » Sat May 02, 2015 8:54 am

I am sooooo ready I can't contain my excitement!!!!!!! It has to be close now right??? XD no rush though I'm sure it'll be perfect!
DefiantNephilim

Postby speedux » Sun May 03, 2015 11:37 pm

I cant believe that!
This are great news!

I finished The Quest some years ago on my PocketPC.
I am gaming veteran since 90s, and I must say it is hard to find similar game to The Quest.
You are very creative team (story, quests, texts, ideas, overall gameplay system), and your game has unique feeling and focing to use imagination.
I very like these 2D graphics, instead of 3D models - its better choice for imagination and overall feeling.
And that sky animation effect - that was charming.
There were some quests which made me surprise, because they finished in different way than I expected.

As about TQ2:
- even if party based, it would be cool to see weapons in FPP view of selected or main hero.
- compared to Legacy, I hope that moving is going to be smooth like in TQ.
- I agree (before I read other opinions) that new graphics are cartoon like, and I more preferred TQ darker (sprites) and warmer (shop pictures) style colors, but it is still nice.
speedux

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Mon May 04, 2015 2:55 pm

DefiantNephilim: I just replied to your PM, hope you got it.

Speedux: thanks very much, of course we'll do our best again! : )
As for TQ2: yes, the moving will be smooth, but grid-based, as usual. The onscreen weapons: well, I'm not sure about that, but we'll see. If I'll have time for that, probably you'll again see them onscreen. As for "cartoonish" graphics, I hope they're not. : ) At least I don't want them to look like that. My style is not changing that much during the years, I just make more polished graphics with higher resolution and more colors nowadays. I think the main problem is that now you only can see a few of TQ2's graphics and you can see them only alone, I mean not inside the game with their surroundings and lights/shadows, etc. That could be misleading. Let's wait for a more final look (I mean when I'll be able to show you some ingame screens).
Sylon / Redshift

Postby TheObsidian » Mon May 04, 2015 6:28 pm

Willl TQ2's editor be released as well, like TQ's was? Was just wondering--since my semester coming to an end, I was gonna plan a personal expansion to make and tinker with to whittle the months away.
TheObsidian

Postby Prickett » Mon May 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Perhaps we will see a new game plus feature?
Prickett

Postby DeMenchev » Tue May 05, 2015 8:32 pm

The Quest is breathtakingly awesome. Hands down my favorite game ever.
I tested a couple expansions for it (the Elemental Asteroids one I edited a lot as well) and had a lot of fun doing that and I never got bored. Totally loved it, just as well as all the time I spent playing The Quest :)
I love many RPGs. I'm very nostalgic for both Arvale and The Quest (Arvale is where a lot of awesome things started in my life. Ok, ok, it's just a nice RPG almost nobody's talking about...). Playing games exclusively in Japanese now, but looking forward to playing your new games many times over and over (that's what I always did with my favorite games) in any language.
I hope your games will eventually gain popularity and make you rich beyond your wildest dreams haha :D
DeMenchev

Postby KGold » Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm looking forward to it too. Hope it has an epic story and gameplay just like the first one ;)

A quick question: What programming language you guys are using? Does it resemble that of TQ1? (Just because I loved working with it, and if it's the same language, it won't be so hard to do make our little exp)
If you have been really too busy,
And you feel your head being dizzy,
It's recommended to have a rest,
I have a good offer-play the Quest! : )
KGold

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Wed May 06, 2015 9:22 pm

TheObsidian: Yep, its editor will be released, of course. But please don't expect the game's release will happen in the near future... As I already wrote about the current situation, now we're busy with another development.

Prickett: what means this "new game plus feature"?

DeMenchev: thanks very much! : )

KGold: I think it will be the usual C++. Don't worry about the editor, it should be similar to TQ's.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby TheObsidian » Wed May 06, 2015 11:14 pm

WOAH WAIT WHAT? You use C++?? I've been learning that for the past year or so! This makes me more happy than it should but wow. WOW. I didn't even know. You guys rock!
TheObsidian

Postby Prickett » Wed May 06, 2015 11:21 pm

Like when you make a new game with your old character, and all the enemies are scaled up.
Prickett

Postby abstractcolors215 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:19 am

I'm so excited for this game! :]
Beckie
abstractcolors215

Postby earthdude » Tue May 19, 2015 9:51 pm

These are the things I'd like to see in a new Quest:
1. Ability to handle large numbers of expansions without overruning resources. Either by unloading expansions not currently in use or other means. Might need a behind the scenes item/spellinfo expansion to allow access to items acquired from a currently unused expansion.
2. Ability to handle large amounts of damage without wrap around (like when I hit a weak monster with my 40,000 hp damage sword and it actually gains hit points!!)
2. Magic. I feel like this isn't particularly scalable in the current system. Also, I'd like to be able to manage my spell lists. And perhaps design my own spells.
3. Consistent game effects between platforms. For example, on iOS I cannot use a permanent gush potion since only one point per ability increase is allowed per level up. On PC, you get +75 for 3 abilities.
4. Ability to dump multiple of one item with one or a few taps. Like drop your 250 full restore mana potions.
5. Greater emphasis on non-monetary rewards. Monetary rewards are important early on, but after awhile, money becomes irrelevant. I like the concept of abilities, like the Tornado ability or the High Negotiation ability. They add bonuses to attributes, skills, resistances, etc. Straight up bonuses to attributes or skills are good, too.

Looking forward to it!
earthdude

Postby Void000 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:26 pm

I was originally going to mention that Tarot cards could be used originally, not only for divination purposes, but as a card game. You could easily tie in both with your system, where drawing a card might providing a temporary buff, but you could play them in card game style, retaining the original name, "Tarot," or renaming the card game something like "Oracle," much like the oracle decks of today. "Prophecy" might be another good one. Perhaps winning at card games could also provide a buff, determined by a card drawn off the top of the deck.

Certain cards might provide benedictions, like wheel of fortune increasing loot find, whereas certain cards might provide maledictions, like the Devil; which might curse you with misfortune, both lowering stats, or levels, or even the percentage chance of finding magical items. Thoughts?? ;)
Void000

Postby Void000 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:50 pm

One more reply:

1) Ability to add notations to maps, so you could mark locations and jot down notes about them.
2) If we are managing a party, please be sure to animate all the strikes and skills, as well as spells.
3) I like what Dark Heart of Uukrul did, where you could wear up to ten rings which granted different powers. Perhaps something similar could be done in the game, where certain powers would only be available by wearing certain objects, such as rings.
4) Perhaps a temple where you could donate, either to raise reputation, or gain enchantments.
5) I have yet to see a game where races level along with classes. For instance, you could be a level 13 thief, and a level 9 minotaur. As your race levelled up, you would gain complementary abilities; such as bashing (run forward several tiles and knock down the next available opponent), goring with your horns, and berserking (raise damage and ac). Races could level at different speeds, making racial choice important, as well as complementary abilities to your chosen class. For instance, barbarian might be a race, whereas berserker might be a class--both would receive some type of buff to combat, but complement each other nicely. Undead might regenerate bones, and gain resistances with each level; an aquatic race, such as naga, might gain water breathing at level 15.
6) I wouldn't mind a stealth/ambush ability for thieves. While shadows and fog could subtly provide weather effects, they could also provide effectiveness to stealth, or hiding in shadows, even pickpocketing.
7) I am all in favor of conversing with, and taming animals. Perhaps an animal interaction ability would allow you to talk to them at level 50, and fully tame them at level 100, thus adding more perks to the ability as it increases. Certain spells might only be cast under certain weather conditions, additionally, if this makes its way into the game; and could be used as support for a shamanic or druidic class.
8) Psionics of some sort, such as a push effects. Anything to do with physics, basically, and deformable environments, such as throwing barrels at opponents. I love eastern swordmasters, and psionicist classes.
9) Mixing spheres of spells might produce secondary abilities; for instance, if you are level 35 in environmental magic, and level 60 in undead magic, you might be able to call a plague of insects down upon all opponents in adjacent squares.
10) As far as swordmasters, one MUD I used to play allowed them to assume forums, each with a buff to each round of combat, some allowing them to strike multiple times, others granting increased damage or a chance to parry, at the cost of mana-per-turn, or rage.
11) Light armor should provide some benefit, perhaps granting dodge, rather than just ac.
12) Since environments are 3D, terrain advantage might play a role in accuracy, and ac, especially for archers.
13) Add a point-and-click environment. For instance, while moving tile-to-tile, certain objects could be entered, opening up sub-areas, simply by touching the screen. Touching a hollow tree stump, for instance, might allow you to enter it, opening up a hidden dungeon, for example. Taking advantage of the touch screen might also allow abilities to target certain objects in the room, or body parts, especially those that were unarmored, to deal increased damage, such as against heads.
14) That said, certain armor might not be usable for non-humanoid races. Minotaurs might be restricted on headgear, due to their horns getting in the way. Naga might never be able to use leggings, instead finding a different style of equipment to use on their bottom-half, which are tails. Mindflayers might inherently be restricted to light armor, but gain different use of psionic abilities as they leveled. Of course, I am just mentioning these races in passing, as they are the most interesting races to me; I might as well mention, they could be included under a different name. Lastly, a creature with more than two arms might be restricted on both torso and armgear, but be able to wield more than just two weapons, and have more attacks per turn, while being kind of a glass-cannon, with low life, and low spellcasting ability. A glowing, ethereal race, might inhibit the ability to sneak, but light up dark areas, and summon light; and so forth.

I'll add more if I think about it. I'm only nibbling my way through the game now, though dual wield needs a new animation, for certain.
Void000

Postby TheObsidian » Mon May 25, 2015 2:52 am

I love the suggestions other fans make for this game. Some are really good. :D
TheObsidian

Postby warmonger3 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:27 am

I just wanted to stop by and encourage you and cheer you on during The Quest 2 development.

I'm excited that you are still supporting Windows PC's. I'll be sure to buy a copy upon release.
warmonger3

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue May 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions! I can't promise that all of those things will be in TQ2 but I'm writing them onto our todo list. Some of them will be there for sure, for example the maps where you can make notes at any places, a temple where you can donate, proper stealth skill for thieves, better spell management, new complementary abilities when leveling up, greater emphasis on non-monetary rewards etc. Thanks again!
Sylon / Redshift

PreviousNext

Return to Betrayed (The Quest II)