The Quest II

News and suggestions during the development of The Quest's sequel.

Re: The Quest II

Postby macatron » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Abstractcolors: if you love our games so much probably you should try out Quest's prequel, Legacy too while you await for TQ2. : ) It's not on iOS (too old game) but you can try out the PC version. In this case check out its demo on our site's PC section (http://www.redshift.hu). Its title music was also written by Brian. : ).

macatron: no monsters yet (I wrote here a few months earlier that they will be the last part in the line of graphic development), sorry. But I'll post some new stuff soon just to show you how the development goes.


Hey, thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing any kinds of updates, so whatever you post up will work for me. :D

As for Legacy, I'd REALLY love to play that bad daddy of an RPG, but I appears that it's only available on Pocket PC. I was hoping that I'd be able to play it via Dosbox, and, if so, that means I could STILL technically play it via iOS since I managed to snag a copy of iDOS from the AppStore when it was availble. :D Any ideas on making it work that way? I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that'd be interested. :D Thanks for being such an awesome developer!
User avatar
macatron
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:57 pm

You can buy Legacy's PC, Pocket PC and Palm version from me at any time... In this case just write me an email (sylon at redshift dot hu). No iOS version available. But if you get the Palm version you can play the game with the Styletap emulator on Android devices too (if I understood it right when somebody wrote us this info).
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby macatron » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:You can buy Legacy's PC, Pocket PC and Palm version from me at any time... In this case just write me an email (sylon at redshift dot hu). No iOS version available. But if you get the Palm version you can play the game with the Styletap emulator on Android devices too (if I understood it right when somebody wrote us this info).


Awesome, thanks! So, is there a demo version of the PC game I could try? I'd like to see if I can get it running via iDOS first. If I can, I'll definitely buy a copy from you because I freakin LOVE party based RPGs like this.

On a side note, did I hear mention that you were also working on a party based RPG like this? I really hope so! :D
User avatar
macatron
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:48 am

You can download the demo of Legacy from our site of course: http://www.redshift.hu - check the PC section. Its screen resolution is low because it was made mostly for old Palm and PPC devices, sorry for that.

The party based RPG which we're working on is The Quest 2, of course. : ) Exactly because I love mostly party based RPGs too so we'll try now to unite the best features of Legacy and The Quest.
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby macatron » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:09 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:You can download the demo of Legacy from our site of course: http://www.redshift.hu - check the PC section. Its screen resolution is low because it was made mostly for old Palm and PPC devices, sorry for that.

The party based RPG which we're working on is The Quest 2, of course. : ) Exactly because I love mostly party based RPGs too so we'll try now to unite the best features of Legacy and The Quest.


Awesome, thanks! I'm not too worried about the lower resolution graphics because I'll probably be playing it via iDOS on my iPhone anyway. :)

I really can't wait for The Quest 2!! I grew up playing these types of RPGs on DOS, so it's really awesome being able to continue the adventure. :)
User avatar
macatron
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Cool! I grew up playing those oldschool RPGs too, back in the early '90s. : )

And now some new stuff as I promised. Mostly decoration elements. Here we go:

First a sculpture from TQ1 and TQ2, I think I don't need to say which one is from which game. : )
Image

Then a classic dungeon column from both games:
Image

Now some signs, at the top there is the magic shop sign from TQ, while all others are various signs for TQ2 shops:
Image

Here are some plants, all from TQ2:
Image

Finally three wall decoration collections, on a classic mossy dungeon wall, on a clear castle wall and on a dark gothic wall:
Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby macatron » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:33 pm

It just keeps looking more and more incredible with every post!! Keep 'em coming! :D
User avatar
macatron
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Prickett » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:31 am

Love it guys, keep up the good work!
Prickett
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:39 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: The Quest II

Postby abstractcolors215 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 am

macatron wrote:It just keeps looking more and more incredible with every post!! Keep 'em coming! :D
I totally agree w you Macatron! It just gets better n better w every post! :D
Beckie
User avatar
abstractcolors215
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby abstractcolors215 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:02 am

I wasnt expecting this surprise tonight! :) Can you guys believe how INCREDIBLY AWESOME this game is gonna be when they finish it?!?!..The 90s were one of THE BEST times for gaming, the other, of course, being 2006 & after, cause these are the years The Quest games are ruling! :D I love the OldSchool RPGs too!.. :) Sylon, these pictures are GORGEOUS. I LOVE the new sculpture!! And those plants are beautiful!..So realistic!..I was also admiring the detail here..The detail at the bottom of the gothic wall pic is amazing!!..And the light on the wall looks perfect too! Clearly, TQ2 is going to be an amazing game, it will rule the Appstore just like TQ did & still does! I was super impressed with these pictures! And I know the gameplay will be just as incredible, because its 2014, I STILL play TQ, & its every bit as fun as it always was! Now thats the sign of an INCREDIBLE game! :D
Beckie
User avatar
abstractcolors215
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby mangoose » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:08 am

Awwwww yissss! Can't wait to see them all ingame!
Hail Mersant!
User avatar
mangoose
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: Phryn

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:44 am

Yep, ingame would be good... Mostly because then there would be lights and shadows on the walls. (Of course TQ2's lighting engine will be much better than TQ's.) So Beckie, that light on the gothic wall is just a drawing now, but when there will be real light source placed on that object it will look even better. : ) Thanks for the nice words! Hopefully around the end of this Winter I will be able to post some very simple but real ingame screenshots too.
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby abstractcolors215 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Yep, ingame would be good... Mostly because then there would be lights and shadows on the walls. (Of course TQ2's lighting engine will be much better than TQ's.) So Beckie, that light on the gothic wall is just a drawing now, but when there will be real light source placed on that object it will look even better. : ) Thanks for the nice words! Hopefully around the end of this Winter I will be able to post some very simple but real ingame screenshots too.

WoW!..with the real light source it'll look even BETTER?!..Sounds like a Spectacular game to me!! :D Yea, some ingame screenshots would be great to see! :)
Beckie
User avatar
abstractcolors215
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby Carpii » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Carpii:
1. The quest log will be improved. Also you will be able to make notes on the map.
2. Quests will have some sort of "indicator". We don't want a yellow arrow above your head to always show you where to go now, because we're hopefully not in kindergarten : ), but definitely you'll have more help during your quests.
3. Okay, there will be difference between passable and blocking squares on the map.


Awesome, Im so happy to hear this :)

I did worry that The Quest 2 was just a recompiled version of The Quest 1, with HD graphics.

Its so good to hear the underlying game engine is being brought up to date too.
Carpii
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby wolf3167 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 pm

"
wolf3167
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Earth

Re: The Quest II

Postby wolf3167 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:17 pm

I will say this, however. The graphics look awesome, esp for hand drawn. However, some look a bit more "cartoony" than the ones from The Quest. Not sure if its good or bad though, still impressed. :)
wolf3167
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Earth

Re: The Quest II

Postby Carpii » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:33 pm

wolf3167 wrote:However, some look a bit more "cartoony" than the ones from The Quest.


Hm, I don't agree with this. Bear in mind some of the graphics he's posted would be scaled down massively once they're in the game (plants and flowers for example), so its difficult to get a feel for the overall look once all the images have been scaled and superimposed on each other

Dont forget the reason we are all on this forum is because he's already created a masterpiece of a game.
If he was a brand new developer, I'd be more vocal about suggestions, but I'm confident whatever design decisions he makes, he already has a pretty good idea what he's doing :D
Carpii
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby macatron » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Carpii wrote:
wolf3167 wrote:However, some look a bit more "cartoony" than the ones from The Quest.


Hm, I don't agree with this. Bear in mind some of the graphics he's posted would be scaled down massively once they're in the game (plants and flowers for example), so its difficult to get a feel for the overall look once all the images have been scaled and superimposed on each other

Dont forget the reason we are all on this forum is because he's already created a masterpiece of a game.
If he was a brand new developer, I'd be more vocal about suggestions, but I'm confident whatever design decisions he makes, he already has a pretty good idea what he's doing :D


THIS!! ^^^^^ :mrgreen:

Definitely looking forward to seeing the final product! Hell, who am I kidding, I'd be stoked to see an early alpha gameplay video at this point. :D
User avatar
macatron
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby wolf3167 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:14 am

Carpi, the graphics will of course be scaled down, but regardless, I can't help but feel they are a bit cartoony. Look, I've been playing Redshift games for years (I have a level 220 character in The Quest; don't ask how much grinding it took) and have been an active participant on these forums for a long time. I wasn't criticizing his artwork, I was saying what came to mind when I looks at it. Nowhere in that post did I make a suggestion.
wolf3167
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 am
Location: Earth

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Don't worry, Carpii, I'm fine with any kind of criticism. : ) Of course Wolf has the right to say whatever he has to say about our games - as far as I know him he's more of a gameplay type of person so I'll try to catch his interest with the story, world and party-based gaming system of TQ2, not with the graphic style. : )
Anyway, the graphics will be oldschool of course so I don't try to make them totally realistic, I want the game to look as it is: a classic hand-drawn RPG with better gameplay and graphic quality. Because I love this style, this mood and I think there is a lack of this type/look of games in today's market. That's all. (Hopefully it will meet many players' taste but it's OK that some of them will like the story, some of them the graphics, some of them the gameplay, etc.)
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby macatron » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Don't worry, Carpii, I'm fine with any kind of criticism. : ) Of course Wolf has the right to say whatever he has to say about our games - as far as I know him he's more of a gameplay type of person so I'll try to catch his interest with the story, world and party-based gaming system of TQ2, not with the graphic style. : )
Anyway, the graphics will be oldschool of course so I don't try to make them totally realistic, I want the game to look as it is: a classic hand-drawn RPG with better gameplay and graphic quality. Because I love this style, this mood. That's all.


And THAT'S why I love you guys so much! :D

Thanks for starting my Monday morning off right! :)
User avatar
macatron
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:03 pm

All in all, many game developers are just making games which they want to play with but couldn't find - I'm the same. Right now with TQ2 I want to make a game which I would have loved to play back in the '90s but never completely found it. Parts of it I could find here and there in various old RPGs but the "complete pack" was never realized for me. : ) The same goes to the graphics: now I'm making graphics which I would love to see during playing an RPG but nowadays I can't find it. (And back in the '90s the technical borders stopped developers to make their games look really good.)
User avatar
Sylon / Redshift
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: The Quest II

Postby macatron » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:All in all, many game developers are just making games which they want to play with but couldn't find - I'm the same. Right now with TQ2 I want to make a game which I would have loved to play back in the '90s but never completely found it. Parts of it I could find here and there in various old RPGs but the "complete pack" was never realized for me. : ) The same goes to the graphics: now I'm making graphics which I would love to see during playing an RPG but nowadays I can't find it. (And back in the '90s the technical borders stopped developers to make their games look really good.)


Oh, I totally agree! That's one of the reasons I've really been wanting to play Might and Magic Legacy. It looks like a love letter to this kind of RPG crowd. :D I have fond memories of playing the original ones, but this version looks incredible AND still plays like its old school brethren. :) I just wish Wizardy was still around, so it could see a similar revival. :D
User avatar
macatron
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: The Quest II

Postby abstractcolors215 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 am

Like Ive said, I'm VERY EXCITED to experience TQ2!! Youre some of THE VERY BEST game developers EVER so this game will be a real treat!! I'm on Standby mode! LoL!.. :D
Beckie
User avatar
abstractcolors215
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 am

Re: The Quest II

Postby abstractcolors215 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Two of the best things about your games, Sylon, are the creativity & the gameplay. I dont care about the "latest, greatest graphics", Thats one of the reasons I keep playing Redshift games, for the originality! Also, two reasons Ive played these kinds of games for many years, are the atmosphere & the Questing. I look for the kind of atmosphere that really immerses me, that gives me a certain feeling! And I look for alot of Questing! LoL! Thats what these kinds of games are all about for me, thats why I play them..And your games have been exactly what I was looking for. Theres nothing else out there like them!! :D
Beckie
User avatar
abstractcolors215
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Quest II

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest