A couple of expansion ideas

News and suggestions during the development of The Quest's sequel. (Title is work in progress.)

A couple of expansion ideas

Postby Carpii » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:26 pm

I don't know anything about the internals of Quest data files, but my suggestion would be to allow expansion authors to have the option to let their expansion just scale in difficulty compared to the players level.

This would mean someone can create an expansion and not have to worry about whether its meant for level 40+ or a brand new player. Will lead to more expansion sales surely

But its optional only. Authors could still pin their expansions (which is kinda how it works now), and this might be relevant for the Hero of Lukyamore series etc.

My other suggestion would be to make the main base game quest an expansion (which is bundled but not automatically started).
The base game would be little more than a small area with a few vendors and a port allowing you to travel to whichever expansions you did want to start (including the bundled base game one)

Having now completed Quest base game on Palm Pilot, Pocket PC, iOS and having bought iOS HD, I just cant face having to play the Matras story arc for a fifth or sixth time.

Not that Quest II will have the same Matras base game, but it would be nice not to have a similar issue in the future.
Carpii

Re: A couple of expansion ideas

Postby Reckoner » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:31 am

I don't know anything about the internals of Quest data files, but my suggestion would be to allow expansion authors to have the option to let their expansion just scale in difficulty compared to the players level.

I want to bump this topic to draw attention to the issue.This thread is similar, plus I also posted an idea in the same vein in the main TQ2 thread, so there's clearly a want for difficulty to be handled differently in the upcoming game.

Level scaling could work, if it was carefully implemented, I suppose. I believe I read that combat will no longer be turn-based. If that's the case, fights could potentially be a lot more interesting.

If level scaling isn't added, I'd like the editor to have an option that allows us to set minimum and maximum levels for the characters people are able to enter* our expansions with, as well as an option for preventing people from bringing existing items and wealth. As I mentioned in the other thread, I think it'd be nice to allow players to spawn directly into our worlds upon character creation. It'd be even better if we could add our own opening "cinematic" (like the opening dialogue in The Quest) to help establish our lore.

I think that with just a bit more control our expansions would have much greater potential! :)

My other suggestion would be to make the main base game quest an expansion (which is bundled but not automatically started).
The base game would be little more than a small area with a few vendors and a port allowing you to travel to whichever expansions you did want to start (including the bundled base game one)

Interesting! This could also work well. What's holding expansions back at the moment (in my opinion) is that they're too dependent on the main game. I wish there was less emphasis on making "expansions" and more emphasis on creating alternate titles.

* The max level would only be enforced when you first enter the expansion. Meaning that if the maximum level is 20, and you enter at 19, you won't get locked out after reaching 21.
Reckoner

Re: A couple of expansion ideas

Postby Gabriel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 am

I finished the base game and Isles of Fire&Ice and my only Issue is that there are two expansions for level 15+. It's Celtic Rift and Isles...

Expansions should start either from L1+ and if they're level below to the base game and other expansions - they should be a direct continuation of other low level expansions.

So in this case, Celtic Rift could in theory be a continuation of Thor's Hammer. Right now Celtic Rift is a bit out of place.

Going to buy&play everything though ;)
Gabriel

Return to Betrayed (The Quest II)