The Quest II

News and suggestions during the development of The Quest's sequel. (Title is work in progress.)

Re: The Quest II

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks for the nice words, Beckie, we'll try to do our best of course. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby mangoose » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:19 am

Soooo.... Any news/updates/sprites you want to share?
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:02 am

Don't worry, when I'll have some news I'll post it here. : ) Right now I had to go back into the fantasy card game because now its development finally got to a point where I again have to work on its graphics/design to get the final shape. It's hard to develop two games at once. : ) But at least in October we'll have the card game's alpha version for betatesting. (Of course it will have a new thread on our forum where we'll hire testers too.)
Sylon / Redshift

Postby mangoose » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:41 am

Do you have a name for the card game yet, or any that you are deciding between?
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:37 pm

No, nothing serious, sadly. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby mangoose » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:44 am

how about "sigil" its simple, but conveys the fantasy theme
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Postby Schicko » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Wow! I can't believe that after all these years, TQ is finally going to get remade! Not only that, It is also finally going to get an Android port! This is seriously great news, thank you Sylon, Elendil and Stewe!

I've some suggestions that I think would be nice for the game:

- Giving mapmakers the ability to import and play through usermade maps/expansions across all platforms. This would increase the replayability of the game and make owning it more worthwhile.
- Make side and back sprites for map objects. A peeve of mine in TQ was how map objects (such as wooden signs) would turn to face the player when the player goes around it. I think it would be prettier if they didn't do this and instead had their own dedicated side and back sprites that show when being looked at from different angles.
- Maybe add a better combat system by adding adjustable element affinities (for spells and weapons) and element resistancies (for monsters). Also maybe add some sort of weapon skills system which utilises some sort of stamina counter. This would make the gameplay more interesting by adding mini goals that will unlock new usable skills and also make combat less repetitive by giving more options for the user.
- Ability to remove/change enhancements put on items. This would be good if we want to reuse highly enchantable rare items which can only be obtained once.
- Some new spell ideas: Summon temporary party members, spells that are constant and toggleable such as invisibility/time freeze/weapon element enhance which drain mana or some other stat for every step/attack.

That's all I have for now. Please do consider them, especially the map import one as I think a lot of users will appreciate you guys more for implementing it. I'd like to thank you devs again for your dedication and hard work on this gem of a game. BTW Sylon, like the others have said, those new sprites look amazing! Keep it up! :)
Schicko

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:17 pm

mangoose: not bad, not bad, we'll consider it for the title, thanks!

Schicko: thanks!
As for the suggestions, I think the usermade maps will be playable across all platforms. Most of the sprites will be the classic "one side" sprite but of course for the places where it's really necessary I'll make multi-sided sprites. Removable enchantments: OK, I don't think it would be that hard to make them removable, so you have good chances to see this funcion in TQ2... Spells: the "summoning new party members" function is already planned, but these will be not real players (mostly demons and other helping entities). That's all I can say now.
Ah and yes, I hope you know that TQ2 is not a remake, it will be a brand new game. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Schicko » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Cool, that's really great to hear! I can't wait to see the final outcome, I bet it would look and work really beautifully, especially since Elendil (or is it Stewe?) is implementing a new lighting system (in addition to your fantastic art and texture work Sylon)! BTW, does this mean that the new game will also have support for shadows and reflections because of the lighting system? That would be amazing!

In any case, thanks again for hearing me out and for your great work and dedication throughout the years redshift developers. :)
Schicko

Postby mangoose » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:33 am

a lighting engine too fancy might feel a bit out of place and be very slow on certain devices, so hopefully that isn't planned for TQ2
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Postby abstractcolors215 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:40 am

I'm so excited for this game!!.. :D Also, Sylon, I think the ideas that you have for the game so far are GREAT! I like the idea of summoning a helper! And I know you were saying TQ2 will be something like you wouldve wanted to play in the 90s, thats awesome for you that you get to design a game like that, that's what I'm looking for! This game is gonna bring some excitement to the APP store! :D
Beckie
abstractcolors215

Postby DeMenchev » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:36 am

Please add a function to manage fonts or just add as many characters as possible so that the game could be translated into different languages.

Also a sagacity skill would be cool (maybe not) which has a bunch of skills in it, each determining the way certain types of people would regard the party and maybe kick them out, hurt them allot various rewards etc. Spending nights at inns or talking to NPCs could raise these stats.
DeMenchev

Postby Schicko » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:28 pm

mangoose wrote:a lighting engine too fancy might feel a bit out of place an be very slow on certain devices, so hopefully that isn't planned for TQ2

I'm not suggesting anything too fancy, just shadows and reflections. Take for example the wonders it did to games such as Legend of Grimrock, Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox, Descend RPG and even the browser based Moonshades. They are still mostly just beautiful textures on a grid-based 3D engine (like TQ as it is now), main difference being (aside from also having 3D modeled objects) that shadows and reflections are added, making them look even more amazing; think Minecraft with SEUS.

In case that graphics systems such as those will be added, I bet the devs will add adjustable settings to support lower powered devices anyway :roll: ...

In fairness though, even without any fancy lighting, TQ was still the most addictive RPG for mobiles IMO. I remember the time when TQ used to dominate the PocketPC market as being the best RPG on that platform - those were the good days :D

Edit: I just found out this dungeon crawl project with some nice retro visuals http://www.indieretronews.com/2012/12/c ... r-rpg.html

Edit 2: Sylon, will the new game allow the player to traverse over non flat terrain? Because I remember it wasn't possible to walk over sloped walls in TQ, and only two levels could be made, so tall mountains were impossible to make in the editor and couldn't be "climbed" on. Could the height limitation maybe be increased in the new game and sloped walls be made traversable?
Schicko

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:50 am

About the lighting system, yes, there will be some shadows and more realistic lights (and some 3D elements such as arch, column, different types of roof, etc) but don't imagine a super perfect full 3D graphic engine because this is not our way. This will be a "retro" game with better graphics than TQ had. So don't expect even a Legend of Grimrock type stuff because that is a full 3D game with some built in limitations like moving in blocks.
And yes, of course the new graphic functions will be adjustable in the settings so the game will support older devices too.

DeMenchev: yes, we plan to make manageable fonts in the game and we plan to release it at least in a few other languages, not just in English. (And then hopefully the final engine will let others to make more translations too.)
As for the "sagacity" skill, all I can say is that now I wrote it in my todo list, so we'll see. But I can promise that there will be some kind of advanced interactions between the characters, that's for sure. And the story already needs the possibility to hear some gossip at the inns, getting in touch with many characters, getting different kinds of information, etc. So the whole interaction stuff will be better.

Schicko, I checked your url below - very nice oldschool stuff! I mean the Cardhalia games, mostly the second one. I like the foggy, hand-made mood of those screenshots. : )
In TQ2 you will still not be able to travel through non-flat terrain, sorry. This will not be a 3D game. : ) The engine will still have some limitations. But at least you can _see_ different types of terrains because the engine will not have the "only 2 levels" limitation, so you'll see much higher buildings and towers in cities and more realistic mountains outside.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby mangoose » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:52 am

Maybe to help create the illusion of huge mountains and towers, there could be an opaque cloud layer at the height limit.
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Postby wolf3167 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:22 pm

"
wolf3167

Postby TheObsidian » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:52 pm

WELL. LOOKS LIKE I KNOW WHERE MY MONEY'S GOING TO IN 2015.

I also need to start finishing the expansions I bought and never touched....
"This won't stop your soul from getting ripped out, but at least you'll look good when your corpse hits the ground."
TheObsidian

Postby redy5 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:52 am

It would be so cool to see plants respawning and some generated quests (ala radiant-story in Skyrim)
Wish you luck:3
redy5

Postby abby » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:56 am

I played Quest, long time ago on a HTC Touch. And I haven't been able to find anything as good on Android. And for the longest time, for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of the game, (its been a while) But, today - after scrolling through Google Images with the search words "RPG Games Windows Mobile 6.1", I came across a screenshot of the Blood Shaman who I immediately recognized and here I am. I really do hope that you come up with an Android version. But regardless, kudos to a great game and Best of Luck for the 2015 release! :)
abby

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:53 am

Thanks for everybody for the nice words, and sorry, Redy5 and Abby for not detecting your first posts for days - now they're approved so you are an active forum member. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby RagnaInfinity » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Looking forward to it ^_^
I'm just a little hero living in a small village who saved them from noxious gas and smuggling problems. Oh and also freed the surrounding area of robbers and rogue archers ;)
RagnaInfinity

Postby macatron » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 pm

abby wrote:I played Quest, long time ago on a HTC Touch. And I haven't been able to find anything as good on Android. And for the longest time, for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of the game, (its been a while) But, today - after scrolling through Google Images with the search words "RPG Games Windows Mobile 6.1", I came across a screenshot of the Blood Shaman who I immediately recognized and here I am. I really do hope that you come up with an Android version. But regardless, kudos to a great game and Best of Luck for the 2015 release! :)

I'm not sure how well it'd work, but, if you can get a copy of DOSbox for Android, you could try playing the PC version on your device. It'll probably be the only way you'll get a "Quest fix" on the Android platform (at least until the sequel is released). :)

Please post up if you do get it running, though, because I'm sure you're not alone! :D
macatron

Postby wolf3167 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 am

An android version will not be released for The Quest. You can try DOSbox as Macatron said, or get it on your computer- you can run it on a toaster with a match as a power supply.
wolf3167

Postby Nimaran » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi!
I like this game and im waiting impatiently for the Quest 2.

I have few suggestions. :)

1. Knocking doors down, like it could take damage also to yourself.

2. Climbing.

3. I like the graphics all normally, but I'm asking will the normal moving style be still on
The quest 2? I whould like it if it whould have full moving style, like in ES daggerfall and Morrowind.

4. critical strike

5. more different spells like levitate or water breathing and spells like that.

6.New alchemy ingridients which can only be found on different areas of the large game world of Quest 2

7. Maby you could make armor by blacksmith and sell them.

Thats what I ask!
Nimaran

Postby wolf3167 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:10 am

Technically, you never "asked" anything, Nimiran. :)
But in all seriousness, when you say "climbing", what do you mean? Mountains? Walls? I can't make anything of that request. And when you say "full-moving style, I assume that means "non-turn based", correct me if I'm wrong. The thing about that is that we (audaciously speaking for the community here :)) don't really want another action RPG. If you want that, go buy Skyrim- the legendary edition can be gotten for less than 40 US Dollars.

For the most part, I agree with your other suggestions- I assume that "knocking doors down" would only work with doors that were either in town or unlock able in the first place, as a Strength-based alternative to lock picking. :)
wolf3167

PreviousNext

Return to Betrayed (The Quest II)