The Quest II

News and suggestions during the development of The Quest's sequel. (Title is work in progress.)

Re: The Quest II

Postby Prickett » Tue May 26, 2015 9:38 pm

I'm sure you're tired of people asking this, but what's the card game looking like so far?
Prickett

Postby Void000 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks, Sylon--if you want some ideas, check out the class page on Avendar dot com, a MUD I used to play. Their assassins do bleed damage per round, and can poison knives.

Their swordmasters assume martial arts forms which cost mana per turn.

Each form has a distinct advantage, like 'form of the mongoose,' which allows you to slip past enemy defenses, and enemy parries.

The templars are a mix of both warriors, and a magic sphere of choice, such as earth, fire, or air.

The scholars can major in a major sphere, and minor sphere, such as fire and earth, granting custom abilities, a mixture of both. Mixing two spheres of the same type grants access to "greater" spells, such as Void/void, which may allow you lichdom and necromancy, through questlines, as well as an array of higher abilities unaccessible to someone who majors in void, but minors in another sphere; such as earth. Eventually, you become a full avatar of that sphere, such as path of the living flame, where you succumb and become the embodiment of your magick. An elemental, or lich, of sorts--depending on both path, and sphere. Quests for each are required. :-)

I also like the non-cliched spheres, where they have earth, air, fire, water, et cetera, but spirit opposes void; making it a total of six spheres, rather than four basic elements.

Nature, I've always felt, should count as a separate element, dealing with plants, shape-shifting, venom, and growth; which needs an opposing sphere, something dealing in pox, death, plagues, and undeath, necromancy.

Another idea would be to cap each sphere. You can implement a total of 225 points in magic, distributed how you feel. In the original game, this could have been limited to 100%, distributed how you feel. So, 10% healing magic, 15% mind magic, 0% undead, 75% environmental magic--totalling up to 100%, and then caps.

You could also add items which increase the cap, in game, either temporarily or permanently; such as potions, equipment, and elixirs.

Assigning each spell a level based on your power in that element would animate it, and increase it, based on skill.

Even scrolls, staves, or wands could have a draining touch of 37, or a draining touch of 75, determining the power of that scroll, wand, or spell.

Lastly, talking animation, it would be neat to see characters change over time; their animations becoming quicker with more dexterity, their bodies looking stronger with more strength.

Dual wield needs to be animated to show both weapons attack, separately.

Parries need to be animated, too, and perhaps a simple timing-based rhythm game could be used to tap the screen, to intercept enemy attacks, or even counterattack with higher levels in the parrying skill--adding passives as you go along. Some attacks might not be parryable, such as giant ogres, forcing you to rely upon dodge-percentage granted by light armor, and skill; or suffer the blow in heavy armor, hopefully resisting a percentage of the damage.

Spells, based on your power in that sphere, would animate properly; becoming progressively more powerful-looking. Characters, as well, should age; perhaps die.

You can recruit new ones; or perhaps give their abilities to their children after their death--whom retain part, but not all, of parents skills/abilities. :)

Lifespan could be determined by race, and if races can level, each race should level at a different rate.

By dying, or aging, you lose vitality/constitution: when it reaches zero, you are dead.

An inheritor takes over.

You can keep their parents equipment, but not full skill.

That, or just roll a new character.

Optional perma-death might be included, for each character, as a rogue-like hardcore mode.

Otherwise, faster leveling races might not live as long. Slower levelling races might live longer; or be stronger on average, but shorter-lived and harder to level.

Racial abilities unlock as you go. An undead, or a sorceror who had chosen to become a lich, might never die. But be susceptible to certain spells, which might grant a chance of permanently killing them, or losing several constitution points upon death--thus, they die from repeated deaths, or specific abilities, but not age. Certain short-lived races might obtain the necromancy tree, and rush it to gain infinite life, before their own depletes; at the cost of vulnerability to holy word, or divine magick. Etc.

Once constitution reaches zero, either by age or leveling, that character dies; and can respawn a progenitor with half their abilities, rolled at random.

Or simply dismiss and recruit a new race/class, proportional to your own characters, averaged out, and randomly rolled every 24-hours whenever you enter a recruitment guild.

I am just brainstorming. No reason to take my ideas absolutely, just cherry pick as you choose. I have a zillion ideas.

Though with spellcasting, you should choose to be a jack of all trades, or a master of one; depending how you parcel out your skill points, or percentages, to each sphere of magick.

The racial leveling/unlockable abilities I am partial to, something innovative and new: also, rings-and-amulets that grant certain enchantment buffs and abilities.

And, since their is an astrologer, perhaps even an astrological sign, granted upon birth, but only revealed at an astrologer; which grants certain side-quests and certain perks, and even abilities.

Tarot cards which grant certain buffs or curses, depending on what you draw, until the next time you can visit the astrologer; a minimum of 24 hours.

Gold should auto-pickup.

Regardless, I also like the idea of hidden areas, as I pointed out, using the click-screen--so you can enter a tree stump by tapping on it, rather than restricting the character to simple grid-based movement, much like a point-and-click adventure game like Myst.

Another idea I am suggesting, certain areas might require certain objects, such as keys, to unlock; or even a puzzle, or mini-game, such as a special knock, which requires a rhytm-based mini-game; or even a skill check or a key. Informants could grant clues. I imagine solving a rubics-cube type puzzle to enter an area, as one example. Or a passphrase.

For travel, square-based movement could be used most of the time, with higher ground giving the advantage in both hit chances, and range and accuracy for archers; but some areas could remain hidden until you tap on them, on the screen, with a mouse or a finger.

Lastly, physics-based gameplay, wherein you could lift, burn, or crash wooden objects, even lifting or throwing, or telekinesis, as I suggested earlier. Stealth, as I mentioned, could increase in fog, shadow, or night--various weather conditions--even indoors. But decrease in broad daylight. A strike to the back might deal more damage.

Already, I am imagining a mage teleport spell which allows you to click a square on the map.

Mage uses the spell to teleport behind the target, thief/rogue backstabs the target for double or triple damage.

Extra abilities, or passives, unlock as you get more proficient in skills; so, if you invest in druidry or shamanism, at first you are only able to converse with animals; later, you can take them as charmies, pets, totems, or familiars, depending upon skill level in such a tree; which grants passives to existing abilities. A fireball might damage one person, or many, or do splash damage, or even pass through targets; if, for instance your elemental, or fire magick, ability was upped. A big difference from a level 25 fireball to a level 50 fireball, or up.

Same for hand to hand. You might play monk. Up until level 25, your damage increases; at level 50, you strike nerves, causing your opponent to miss turn; at level 75, your nerve strikes occasionally disarm weapons. At level 100, your nerve strikes can cause-instadeath.

Familiars could even granting hints; or even new abilities.

Again, these are just suggestions. Pick and choose as you please. :)

Thanks!,

James K. B___ :D
Void000

Postby abstractcolors215 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:30 pm

Like others here, I want to cheer you on about the Quest2 and the Fantasy Card Game! I'm really interested in this card game! I enjoyed the one in The Quest and I love these kinds of games! If you get a chance, Sylon, we'd love to hear about any updates you have on the card game! Your loyal fans are patiently waiting!.. :]
Beckie
abstractcolors215

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu May 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Wow, Void000, that's a long-long list... : ) Of course I'm not taking these ideas absolutely, they're suggestions. We'll see what we can do with them, now I'm leaving them here and will be back when it's time for developing TQ2 again.

Beckie, Prickett: last month Elendil started to work on the card game's last big programming chapter, its AI - I mean the computer's intelligence when you're playing against it. But he had to stop this and get back to The Quest for a while, sorry. Our company (the company behind Redshift) almost got bankrupt this month (and is still in a very dangerous and unstable situation) because Chillingo doesn't want to publish many of our previous titles in the AppStore because of their poor income so they simply deleted them and gave them back to us. So now we have to upload them again to AppStore, this time under our account, but it will take time and during this time we'll have no real income. So we had a quick decision last week: to keep our company alive financially we have to make a newer version from The Quest's PC version and release it on Steam and other sites like that, as soon as possible. We hope it will help a little. The update will not be a really big one (we have to be quick), just a graphical update which will have hardware acceleration and the possibility to run the game on all possible screen resolutions.
Of course we'll post on our site when the update is done and when the PC-related sites will (hopefully) accept the game.

As for the "card game" (which became more of a fantasy board game now with no real cards), I can show some pre-alpha screenshots and other graphic stuff if you want and also I can write some info about the whole game but I'll start a new forum thread for this game I think. Give me a little time for doing that. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Prickett » Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Alright, best of luck to you! I'm eager to see the graphics thus far.
Prickett

Postby Void000 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Sorry, I get overexcited when brainstorming over coffee. Caffeine does wonders for the brain. :oops:

One question: what are the chances of procedurally generated wilderness for each zone; as well as the possibility of random loot dungeons, sporadically appearing, scaled to your level simply for grinding and exp?

It seems obvious for this type of game. And would destroy the possibility of spoilers on the Internet.
Void000

Postby TheObsidian » Thu May 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Oh gee. That's a nasty situation, Sylon. I hope you guys are okay :c
"This won't stop your soul from getting ripped out, but at least you'll look good when your corpse hits the ground."
TheObsidian

Postby abstractcolors215 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:54 pm

Sylon, thanks for the update on what's going on!..Yes, of course, do what you have to do, you have to stay afloat! About the Fantasy Board game(as you described it), I would love to see screenshots and some info about it! Whenever you have the time, we'll be here! :]
Beckie
abstractcolors215

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sat May 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Okay, I started a new forum for our new fantasy board game. Its working title is Grendelmoore. Please check it out, I already made a few posts there about the game with some screenshots! (It's in the Other Games section too, just like this Quest II forum.)

Void000: the chances for randomly generated dungeons and places are low, sorry. : ) But who knows... Never say never.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby DeMenchev » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Wow, Void000, that's a long-long list... : ) Of course I'm not taking these ideas absolutely, they're suggestions. We'll see what we can do with them, now I'm leaving them here and will be back when it's time for developing TQ2 again.

Beckie, Prickett: last month Elendil started to work on the card game's last big programming chapter, its AI - I mean the computer's intelligence when you're playing against it. But he had to stop this and get back to The Quest for a while, sorry. Our company (the company behind Redshift) almost got bankrupt this month (and is still in a very dangerous and unstable situation) because Chillingo doesn't want to publish many of our previous titles in the AppStore because of their poor income so they simply deleted them and gave them back to us. So now we have to upload them again to AppStore, this time under our account, but it will take time and during this time we'll have no real income. So we had a quick decision last week: to keep our company alive financially we have to make a newer version from The Quest's PC version and release it on Steam and other sites like that, as soon as possible. We hope it will help a little. The update will not be a really big one (we have to be quick), just a graphical update which will have hardware acceleration and the possibility to run the game on all possible screen resolutions.
Of course we'll post on our site when the update is done and when the PC-related sites will (hopefully) accept the game.

As for the "card game" (which became more of a fantasy board game now with no real cards), I can show some pre-alpha screenshots and other graphic stuff if you want and also I can write some info about the whole game but I'll start a new forum thread for this game I think. Give me a little time for doing that. : )

A The Quest update, huh? Will it be fast and smooth just like the PPC version? The PC version's animations are slowed down a bit and the iOS version is all in slow motion. The walking speed is ok as "fast", but the framerate is suffering. Any version is awesome to play, of course : )
DeMenchev

Postby Zooberdude444 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:39 am

Really looking forward to The Quest II.
Seriously hope you guys make it through these hard financial times. There aren't any games out there that compare with The Quest in mobile platform.
Zooberdude444

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:53 pm

DeMenchev: yep, it will be fast and smooth. : )

Anyway, I just made a Facebook page for Redshift, please check it out and like it. : ) Will post there any news we'll have during our games' development, of course. Here is its address:

https://www.facebook.com/redshifthungary
Sylon / Redshift

Postby AndreasE » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Sorry to derail the thread, I'm just wondering how long til' the Quest is up and running on steam? I wonder if I should wait til it's out or play it on the iphone.

Will all the expansions work as well?
AndreasE

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 pm

I just asked Elendil.
The game's new PC version will hopefully be ready within a month. On Steam, GOG, etc.
It will have hardware accelerated graphic engine, also it will get a full screen mode too, and probably it will include the Official Expansion Pack. Also it will contain all bugfixes and other modifications which until now only the iOS version had.
As for all other expansion packs, I don't know for sure but I think yes, it will be able to handle those expansions as well.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby KGold » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:I just asked Elendil.
The game's new PC version will hopefully be ready within a month. On Steam, GOG, etc.
It will have hardware accelerated graphic engine, also it will get a full screen mode too, and probably it will include the Official Expansion Pack. Also it will contain all bugfixes and other modifications which until now only the iOS version had.
As for all other expansion packs, I don't know for sure but I think yes, it will be able to handle those expansions as well.

The Quest in fullscreen? :D Pure awesomeness! That's what I was about to ask, thanks.
If you have been really too busy,
And you feel your head being dizzy,
It's recommended to have a rest,
I have a good offer-play the Quest! : )
KGold

Postby Eyex » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:22 am

These are all amazing news! The thing which I was always capticated by is the graphics in the game, it's so atmospheric that you could search for similar titles but you'll never find a single one! It's awesome to hear about the sequel to, the hand drawn textures looks really good, but I got something in mind: There will be the upgraded version of The Quest on Steam, with better graphics etc.. does this mean that it'll use The Quest 2's graphics engine?
Eyex

Postby Zooberdude444 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:46 am

Have you guys thought about doing a kickstarter project to try to get some more funding for TQ2? It would be a shame if this awesome game simply died. There is nothing on the mobile platform that even compares to this game.
Zooberdude444

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:53 am

Zooberdude: this question was asked about a dozen times : ), so again: no, there will be no Kickstarter project but yes, we'll make TQ2 anyway, just we have other things to do now to get some income. But don't worry about TQ2, it will be done. : )

KGold, EyeX: yes, TQ's PC version will run in fullscreen but I didn't say it will have TQ2's engine... (There is no engine for TQ2 yet, for example.) It will just have the features I wrote in my previous post.
At least this was the situation when I made my last post here. But things are very unstable now about this version (just started to develop it) so I think I'll post the final features of the PC version later, when we're 100% sure about all of them. Hang on, I think I'll have some good news soon. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Zooberdude444 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 am

Cool thanks for the info. Sorry, I hadn't heard or read any of the posts about requests for a kickstarter project. Was just wondering because you guys had said you were in a bind and I love this game and already love its sequel, so I wouldn't mind fronting some cash for the game now. Maybe I'll just buy all the zarista games instead, as I haven't done that yet. Lol
Zooberdude444

Postby grantrob202 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 am

I would also be happy to front some cash in advance just to support you guys and in eager anticipation of TQ2!!
grantrob202

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:51 pm

Okay, Eyex and all the others - I just made a new topic in General Discussion for The Quest's brand new PC/iPad version - please check it out! : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Longbow520 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:47 am

Ok first of all will magic be better? I mean in the quest attack magic kind of sucked!
Second of all will there be necromancy (the ability to summon undead creatures or reanimate dead enamys)
Third will their be Lycanthropy/vampirism
And last what is the exact date it will be released?
Longbow520

Postby grantrob202 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:55 am

macatron wrote:
Sylon / Redshift wrote:You can buy Legacy's PC, Pocket PC and Palm version from me at any time... In this case just write me an email (sylon at redshift dot hu). No iOS version available. But if you get the Palm version you can play the game with the Styletap emulator on Android devices too (if I understood it right when somebody wrote us this info).

Awesome, thanks! So, is there a demo version of the PC game I could try? I'd like to see if I can get it running via iDOS first. If I can, I'll definitely buy a copy from you because I freakin LOVE party based RPGs like this.

On a side note, did I hear mention that you were also working on a party based RPG like this? I really hope so! :D

Macatron - did you ever manager to get "legacy" to work with iDOS? I would like to try it too
grantrob202

Postby Void000 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Hey Sylon, any updates? Also, is there any chance we could get an interview with you guys, for my YouTube channel?
Void000

Postby usernameidc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Whens this coming to the app store? I can't wait.
usernameidc

PreviousNext

Return to Betrayed (The Quest II)