Mac version: High load?

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Mac version: High load?

Postby matthjes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:19 am

Hi,
I just bought the Mac version yesterday. After starting the game the fan spins up and my MacBook Pro (2015) gets really hot...and I'm only in the character creation screen! There seems to be an issue with the CPU load, it seems like it's on 100% although the real game did not start, yet.

Currently it's not playable for me at all.
matthjes

Re: Mac version: High load?

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:03 am

Fans spinning up is normal. The game renders at 60 frames per second and it taxes the GPU (which is more than likely the integrated Intel one), because of the high resolution screen. It does the same on my Macbook Pro.

Counterintuitively, walking around and looking at the game world might be less taxing in lots of places, resulting in less fan activity. Not everywhere, though, so yes, if you play the game in full screen mode, the fans will spin up.

If it really bothers you, you can try playing in a window. Exit fullscreen and size the window to your liking. The smaller it is, the less taxing it becomes for the GPU. I think playing in 1920x1080 will let the fans rest. :)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Aenvar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Elendil, I thought you'd want to know that the game runs quite smoothly on iMac. Strangely though, the only moment when the fans start to spin is when browsing the inventory. The longer you take, the higher load it gets... It's not much, but I left it say 10 minutes idle at inventory screen and it got from 65º to 80º celsius, as soon as I left it dropped down. Any thoughts on this?

I think an easy fix for laptops like Macbook would be adding the FPS limit option iPad/iPhone has. To be honest I think 45 frames are more than enough for this kind of game.

PD: Congratulations on The Quest HD! It looks so beautiful, really good job!
Aenvar

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:43 pm

The game has been optimized a bit since that comment. Meaning less (or no) spinning fans. :)

The fps limit is built into iOS, that's why it's available there. It's quite tricky to get it right without framework help and I don't really have the time. But I might add it sometime.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Aenvar » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Ok, I understand. Thank you very much for the answer. Yes, compared to many other mac games I'm very happy with the overall performance :)
Aenvar

Return to Technical Issues