Save files gone

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Save files gone

Postby MastiffMike » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Have been successfully playing on my android phone now for a week but today all my save files are gone.

I was playing last night and, like normal, went to bed with the app "running" on my phone connected to a charger overnight. Wake up this morning to find the app isn't running (previous mornings the app would be running and waiting for me upon waking up). Fire up the app and there are no save files, only "Start new game"!!!

Looking at the version, it appears an automatic update happened (not sure if that somehow deleted my save files?).

My daughter's version was also updated automatically yesterday, but her save files are still intact. There are differences between her and my situation (phone model, OS version, etc.) and one that may have played a part is the app state during the automatic update. My Quest app was running whereas her Quest app was NOT running (neither phone was being actively used at the time of the update as neither of us experienced anything out of the norm during usage - just upon waking today did we see the issue).

Anyone got any ideas? I lost my level 11 character and don't want to restart from the beginning only to have it happen again. Also, how would I go about turning off automatic updates? Besides the deletion of my game progress, I'm not a fan of being the guinea pig tester of new versions and would rather be able to manually update at some later date (i.e. I could have saved the save files to my pc prior to updating had I known).

Thanks!
MastiffMike

Re: Save files gone

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:30 am

First, sorry to hear that.

Let's see. The game stores the save files on the external storage. This can become unavailable for the game in certain circumstances. Like when connected to a computer and file transfer is enabled. Android can still keep a "shadow" folder around though for programs running. Most of the time it works, but it can be unpredictable. There is nothing I can do about it, this is just how Android works.

Do the following: Unplug your phone from your computer (if it's connected), then restart it. That should clear up any external folder confusion Android might have.

As for updates, those are normal and shouldn't cause any problems. If you don't want to receive them, you can turn them off, but thats an Android feature for all apps and has nothing to do with the game. I personally wouldn't recommend turning them off, updates are needed for fixing bugs, etc. (The Quest itself will be needed to be updated to get Achievements, cloud sync and the expansion.)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby MastiffMike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:30 am

FWIW, it happened again. I'd worked my way back up (to level 10 I believe) and today my save files are all gone.

Windows doesn't ever see the save files, but on my phone I was able to see the save files (used ES File Explorer app). I luckily saved a copy of them to my SD card a few days ago, so I've only lost about half my progress.

I've no idea why this is happening to me. My daughter hasn't lost her save files (though we're on different phones and android version). Last time this happened it occurred overnight, but this time it happened while I was playing. I picked up mithril ore and boom, the app crashed me back to my home screen and when I restarted The Quest there are zero save files (no "load" or "continue" options, just "Start new game").

Since this issue doesn't appear to be happening to other people, it points to being an issue with my phone or settings, but I don't know what it could be.

Anyway, thought I'd post in case it happens to someone else.
MastiffMike

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:23 am

Ugh, really sorry to hear that. :(

Yes, no one else experienced this (at least no one else reported it). It sure seems like some problem with your device. Do you have enough free space available? (Although if you could copy your saves you should have.)

I can't really offer any advice at this point. But there is some good news. I'm working on Cloud saves right now. Hopefully it'll help you not lose any more progress. (I'll try to release it as soon as possible, but of course I must be careful about how it works, so it cannot be rushed.)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby MastiffMike » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:25 am

Yeah, I figured it wasn't widespread considering my daughter's phone is older, less powerful, and running an older version of Android than mine, and she's not had any issues.

I really just think it's something written into the code to insure that if I get further along than my daughter, it deletes my save files thus allowing her to catch up to me!

:lol:

FWIW, there's a side quest issue possibly somehow related to my file issues. Quite awhile ago I solved the Rituals of Ancients quest for Serena (it shows in my solved quest list) and failed the quest for Ithulde (it shows in my failed quest list) yet now when I talk to Serena "about a teleporter" she asks if I have been in the sunken monastery and if I've gotten the book yet (the only response choice I have is "Not yet"). Returning to the monastery now, the book is no longer there (didn't respan) yet the monsters did, so I can't re-complete it.

Not a big deal because it shows as competed in my quest lists, and other than when I talk to her it doesn't appear to effect anything. Just thought I'd mention it.
MastiffMike

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 am

MastiffMike wrote:FWIW, there's a side quest issue possibly somehow related to my file issues. Quite awhile ago I solved the Rituals of Ancients quest for Serena (it shows in my solved quest list) and failed the quest for Ithulde (it shows in my failed quest list) yet now when I talk to Serena "about a teleporter" she asks if I have been in the sunken monastery and if I've gotten the book yet (the only response choice I have is "Not yet"). Returning to the monastery now, the book is no longer there (didn't respan) yet the monsters did, so I can't re-complete it.

Can you send me a save file with the issue? I checked Senera and if you had completed the quest as you said, she should answer "Thank you again for bringing me the book I needed!" to the "Can I help you?" prompt. Thanks!
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues