Android expansions

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

Android expansions

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:17 pm

On Android enabled expansions must be installed to be counted as enabled.

However, you can recover most of the storage by deleting the expansion's obb file. You can do it with any Android file manager or with your computer's file manager after you've connected your device.

For our expansion "Islands of Ice and Fire", the folder of the obb file on the device is the following: "Android/obb/hu.redshift.thequestexp1". (If/when other expansions get released, they will be named similarly "thequestexp2", etc.)

If for some reason you start the expansion, it'll just redownload the obb file, so don't worry about deleting it. :)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Re: Android expansions

Postby cloudtirones » Tue May 23, 2017 6:56 pm

when and what will be the next expansions? after the isles of ice and fire
cloudtirones

Postby Catacomber » Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 am

Our Thor's Hammer should be next. We're working on Hero of Lukomorye I.
Catacomber

Postby ch0po54 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Thank you for making the PC and Android cross compatibility work like a charm. ;)
Will we have the power of future exporting our own custom created worlds to Android?
I want to work on my own world but i would like to know if any world that i create can also be added to the Android platform.

Also, Catacomber, thank you for all your expansions they are amazing! :D
ch0po54

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue May 30, 2017 5:42 pm

ch0po54 wrote:Will we have the power of future exporting our own custom created worlds to Android?
I want to work on my own world but i would like to know if any world that i create can also be added to the Android platform.

Please read the editor tutorial. Especially the last part. ;)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby ch0po54 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:04 pm

I saw that there is an export for Steam but I couldn't find "export to Android or IOS platform"
I think in order to export a world to Android with the current system, would be to get an .apk and install the world then enable in the Qeust.

Thank you for your quick replies!
ch0po54

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed May 31, 2017 7:36 am

ch0po54 wrote:I saw that there is an export for Steam but I couldn't find "export to Android or IOS platform"
I think in order to export a world to Android with the current system, would be to get an .apk and install the world then enable in the Qeust.

Well, the tutorial talks about worlds intended to be sold. But if perchance you are talking about freely released worlds, the same stands. If you want to release them on Android, you'd have to contact us and we would have to okay it (because only we can release expansions on Android and iOS).

We are not likely to release free expansions on Android/iOS. They would have to be really high quality and they would have to be tested especially extensively. If a world is created for selling, one can expect that the creator is at least somewhat careful and thorough when it comes to quality. Not so with free worlds. ;)

Also, we don't have time to test. The creator must recruit testers from the community and those testers must report to us.

So, creating a free world for Steam is straightforward. You create it, then release it. Creating a world which is intended to be distributed by us is much more involved.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby ch0po54 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:20 pm

Excellent, it makes sense. Thank you for your response! I will be looking forward for the future expansions.
ch0po54

Postby GalenVii » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Elendil / Redshift wrote:For our expansion "Islands of Ice and Fire", the folder of the obb file on the device is the following: "Android/obb/hu.redshift.thequestexp1". (If/when other expansions get released, they will be named similarly "thequestexp2", etc.)

Thank you. This is helpful and I need clarification.
Q1: Are the expansion numbers in the order they were released or downloaded?
If it is the order released could you tell us which numbers go with each expansion?
Q2: if we have items stored on permanent shelves in an expansion and delete the obb will those shelves be cleared out?
GalenVii

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Expansion numbers are in the order they were released. So Islands, Thor, HOL & Celtic Rift. (The same order they are listed on our website.) But you don't actually have to know which one is which. Just delete all the obb files after you've enabled the expansions. ;)

Deleting the obb file doesn't do anything as per the first post. It just saves space. The obb file is only needed for the standalone expansion app. Any progress you make (including items you put onto shelves) are in the save files, which are in a separate folder. Provided you copy the save files somewhere safe, you can even completeley delete the game, nothing happens to your progress. When you reinstall the game and copy back the save files, you can continue where you've left off. (Save file location.)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby GalenVii » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:49 am

Can we also delete the obb files in the obb/hu.redshift.thequest folder or only the expansion folders?
GalenVii

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:37 am

You can't delete the obb files in the hu.redshift.thequest folder. The game cannot function without them, because those are the game data. (It will try to redownload them if they get deleted.)

You can delete the other obb files because they are the same data, just for the standalone expansion apps.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby fanoush » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:51 am

So (as I can delete obb files from expansion) all the expansion data is part of The Quest app too? So once expansion is enabled/installed and played in "The Quest" app I can only update "The Quest" app to get expansion updates? Or do I need to update expansion apps too to get fixes? I do not wish to play expansion as standalone app and would even prefer to unistalll it, if it is possible to continue to play the expansion in the main app.
fanoush

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:10 am

Yes, the main game contains all expansion data so you need only update that.

On Android it's not possible to completely uninstall the expansions (if you do uninstall them, they'll become disabled in the main game and would need to be enabled again (for which you'd need to install them ;) )).
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Dalya » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:05 am

Thank you very much for the tip on deleting the obb files.
I'll explain my situation in case it might be of help to someone else: I'd been experiencing more and more frequent game crashes as I played the most recent 3 expansions which I assumed to be somehow related to having so many expansions active (I had no such issue in the earlier expansions or main game). I'd tried uninstalling early expansions, but as has been discussed here, this precludes us from being able to load the game from a save file. Deleting the obb files exp1 thru exp9, however, has made a significant difference, so, again, thank you.
One clarification question: Along with the obb files numbered exp1-9, I also have some lettered files in the same folder, expa-d, I believe. May these be deleted as well?
Dalya

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes. All expansion .obb files can be deleted when you are playing the game normally.

(Those are just expansions 10-13, btw. ;) )
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby mm6ff8 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:42 am

[quote="Elendil / Redshift"]Yes, the main game contains all expansion data so you need only update that.[/quote]

Does it mean that I only need to update the base game, and not the expansions, and still fully enjoy the update?
mm6ff8

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:02 am

mm6ff8 wrote:Does it mean that I only need to update the base game, and not the expansions, and still fully enjoy the update?

Yes.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues