The Editor (Old)

This forum is for discussing anything related to The Quest editor.

The Editor (Old)

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:12 pm

This topic has been superseded! For up to date information see: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4952

There is an editor available for The Quest. It was used to create the worlds for the main game, as well as all expansions.

The editor runs on Windows. It's free to use and can be downloaded from here:

http://www.redshift.hu/quest/editor.zip

We are providing it AS IS. It can be slow and it's quite buggy. We do NOT provide support. Please don't even ask. We might answer here on the forums, but please don't count on it. The forum is for the self help of editor users.

There is some information available on the editor and on how the game works:

http://www.redshift.hu/TheQuestEditor.pdf
http://www.redshift.hu/TheQuestSystem.pdf

To actually try out any expansion worlds you create, you'll need the original Windows (PC) version of The Quest. The freely available demo version is good for this (just set Matras as the connecting town). The Steam version also comes with the old original version.

Any expansion you create is free to distribute to Quest users. However, it will only work on the Windows / Windows Mobile and Palm platforms. Only we can release expansions on the iOS platform. If you'd like to do that, please write to us. Before doing so, however, please consider that we would like to ensure that the expansion has a certain quality. The already released expansions should be an indicator to the minimum required. And regardless of expansion quality, we reserve the right to decide if an expansion will be released or not. This is not meant as discouragement, just please keep in mind there is absolutely NO guarantee we'll release an expansion, no matter how long you have worked on it or how good it might seem.
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Re: The Editor

Postby noobpod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Thankyou very much! :)
noobpod

Postby Unknown_Z » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Yay for editor!
Unknown_Z

Postby Jamie990 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:04 pm

If anyone needs any help I am active here and able to help with most things (making my own expansion already) so yeah. Also if you do need help it is sometimes eaier to upload your expansion so I can download and see where the problem is.
You have 20 save slots use them all. Save after every quest, save before going into a dungeon, save, save save!!
Jamie990

Postby noobpod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:58 pm

This is for non-commercial use only right?
noobpod

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 pm

noobpod wrote:This is for non-commercial use only right?

Actually, you are free to sell your expansion, however I don't think there are too many people who play The Quest on non iOS platforms, let alone who would buy a new expansion. This was always the case for The Quest (and Legacy), I think that's how Zarista Games started for example.

But as I've written, to release on iOS, we would have to work on it. That means to release it for money we'd need to create a contract. Technically, even if the expansion is released for free, we could create a contract, but I don't think that's necessary. If you trust us not to claim the expansion for our own and try to make money from it, there is not much danger in it. :)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Unknown_Z » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Sweet.... I'm gobna *attempt to make an expansion for myself with my awesome scripter; my dad :)
Unknown_Z

Postby Jamie990 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:43 am

Well it aint like any other scripting lanugauge all custom commands so having scripting experience wom't help a huge deal IMO.
You have 20 save slots use them all. Save after every quest, save before going into a dungeon, save, save save!!
Jamie990

Postby Unknown_Z » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Jamie990 wrote:Well it aint like any other scripting lanugauge all custom commands so having scripting experience wom't help a huge deal IMO.

C++? Training in most languages? :)
Unknown_Z

Postby Jamie990 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:09 pm

It is a custom language it only follows the logic of laying out the commands of normal coding. Whole new set of commands to learn.

ignore just me misremembering something I read.
Jamie990

Postby Lord Dim » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:08 am

Jamie990 wrote:It is a custom language it only follows the logic of laying out the commands of normal coding. Whole new set of commands to learn.

Yeah, all the good companies like ea do that. (and redshift.)
Lord Dim

Postby Catacomber » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 am

Jamie990 wrote:It is a custom language it only follows the logic of laying out the commands of normal coding. Whole new set of commands to learn.

It's not a custom language at all--it's C and C++---very easy. : )
Catacomber

Postby Jamie990 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:31 am

Oh right haha well woops.
Jamie990

Postby Unknown_Z » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Catacomber wrote:
Jamie990 wrote:It is a custom language it only follows the logic of laying out the commands of normal coding.
Whole new set of commands to learn.

It's not a custom language at all--it's C and C++---very easy. : )

All the more easy!
Unknown_Z

Postby Buddywalkosz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:36 am

Elendil / Redshift wrote:

Actually, you are free to sell your expansion, however I don't think there are too many people who play The Quest on non iOS platforms, let alone who would buy a new expansion. This was always the case for The Quest (and Legacy), I think that's how Zarista Games started for example.

But as I've written, to release on iOS, we would have to work on it. That means to release it for money we'd need to create a contract. Technically, even if the expansion is released for free, we could create a contract, but I don't think that's necessary. If you trust us not to claim the expansion for our own and try to make money from it, there is not much danger in it. :)

Honestly, if I ever make an expansion that you deem worthy of iOS, I wouldn't want any cut of the profits. Just sayin.
Buddywalkosz

Postby Unknown_Z » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:07 am

Buddywalkosz wrote:
Elendil / Redshift wrote:

Actually, you are free to sell your
expansion, however I don't think there are too many people who play The Quest on non iOS platforms, let alone who would buy a new expansion. This was always the case for The Quest (and Legacy), I think that's how Zarista Games started for example.

Honestly, if I ever make an expansion that you deem worthy of iOS, I wouldn't want any cut of the profits. Just sayin.

Same here, considering that the quest is excellent anyways... It's an honor to produce an expansion for it. :)
Unknown_Z

Boom

Postby Saintsrow3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 pm

noobpod wrote:Thankyou very much! :)
Saintsrow3

Postby Turtleman » Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 am

I've done some programming in the past. Used to program AutoCAD menus for the different engineering companies I worked for. Is it harder than that to learn?
Turtleman

Postby Turtleman » Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 am

It seems there is some interest in doing this. Why not create a forum for a new expansion? All of us could go there and start posting code and map ideas. We could share email addresses (safely, somehow) and start working on one. I'm in.
Turtleman

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue May 08, 2012 11:13 am

Turtleman: it's like C+ I think, with easy scripting. Even I could make with it anything I wanted, and I'm absolutely not a programmer type of person. : ) If you need help, just ask. (I recommend the "How to use the editor" topic for this.)

You can start a new topic/forum here at any time for any expansion if you like. I think there is already a topic for this, Unknown_Z opened one for his own expansion. But if you like to have a common forum where anybody can post any ideas for one common expansion, just make one.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Catacomber » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:58 am

Sylon, can you clarify something for people using the editor---I found long ago that if I put down a lot of floor (roads)--they show up as yellow in the editor---people would crash when stepping there while playing on mobile and sometimes the game would pixelate there. I know the editor has graphic limits and I learned some of that the hard way==but what about this---I haven't used much of the roads because I had players crashing when i did. Can the editor handle a lot of roads in a specific map? I've found that it can't.
Catacomber

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:05 am

I'm not sure what do you mean - there can be three floor layers on a specific spot. The standard base floor, the floor you place onto it, and the road. (The third layer is the orange one in the Editor.) Check the base game's world, there is no problem with those floors/roads. At least I never had any problems with that.
Or you mean you wanted to place too many floor spots beside each other on a map, like when you build a large field from roads?
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Catacomber » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 am

I't not me. I know not to overload graphics in the editor and what little tiny things might cause a graphics overload, like too many monsters in a square----but someone sent me a file and the map was hard to open and regenerate---it looked pixelated---when I got it open, I noticed they had a large amount of the orange roads. I posted this for them not me. : ) When I did use a lot of the orange in HOLII, it crashed when my betatesters stepped on them---that was a long time ago--and I took them out. But this post is for someone who likes those orange roads. A lot of them!! And all next to each other like a big field.
Catacomber

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 am

OK, so now I'll clarify this:

Dear editor users, please don't use too many orange roads at once! : ) Just when it's really necessary above the normal 'floor' type. It's OK for roads but not for large fields.

Is that OK? : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:48 am

I hope someone I know who's making an expansion reads that and takes it seriously. : )
Catacomber

Next

Return to Editor