Silly question - gold nugget

Forum for discussing Thor's Hammer

Silly question - gold nugget

Postby Hymnlocke » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:49 am

I'm wrapping up TH and am really loving the content.

I'm trying to empty my quest log and have run into something that stumps me. I'm trying to get the gold nuggets needed for Loki' s forgemen and I have the golden axe equipped, am in chevron mines, AND found the cracks in the wall, but every time I hit it it just tells me I need an axe and there is a limited amount of ore per vein.

What am I doing wrong?!
Hymnlocke

Re: Silly question - gold nugget

Postby paudley » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:29 am

You need to use a very specific axe. I believe it's the "Miner's Axe" and occasionally is found or dropped in the mine itself.
paudley

Postby Catacomber » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:21 am

It's on a crack there in the southeast when you first enter. Go right. : )
Catacomber

Postby Catacomber » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 am

Could you help Istara find the cracks on the walls? : ) She has a post here in another thread. Thanks.
Catacomber

Postby istara » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 am

Catacomber wrote:Could you help Istara find the cracks on the walls? : ) She has a post here in another thread. Thanks.

I have completed that quest, by sleeping and picking up the floor nuggets, but this is where I got to in terms of dungeon exploration:

istara

Postby Catacomber » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:19 pm

There's a secret switch in the southeast that removes the hole you see there in your map---the northwest hole.
Catacomber

Postby iwastetimeongames » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Catacomber wrote:There's a secret switch in the southeast that removes the hole you see there in your map---the northwest hole.

I have hit that switch several times, to make it both dark and back white -- but nothing happens upstairs where the holes are...
iwastetimeongames

Postby DeMenchev » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:21 am

Smash the switch.
DeMenchev

Postby Catacomber » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:21 am

iwastetimeongames wrote:
Catacomber wrote:There's a secret switch in the southeast that removes the hole you see there in your map---the northwest hole.

I have hit that switch several times, to make it both dark and back white -- but nothing happens upstairs where the holes are...

That switch removes one of the holes but you still have to cast Burning Hand on a rock to remove it so you can get to those cracks. : )
Catacomber

Postby iwastetimeongames » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Catacomber wrote:
iwastetimeongames wrote:

That switch removes one of the holes but you still have to cast Burning Hand on a rock to remove it so you can get to those cracks. : )

I did manage to crack that case (see what I did there?) when I first came here. I thought the issue that istara was describing was that one can't really finish exploring the map to the farthest left. If you refer to the picture posted, to the left of the north-pointing arrow there is a brown block and then a round pillar: it's impossible to get there because of the leftmost hole in the ground, which will just port to the pits. I suspect no necessary quest items are in that area – but perhaps there are interesting things? Or is it just a dead end that just fails to be completely revealed but doesn't matter? I'm inclined to believe the latter since the pillars on the map don't seem to allow for further advancement.
iwastetimeongames

Postby DeMenchev » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Have you smashed the switch?
DeMenchev

Postby iwastetimeongames » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:19 pm

DeMenchev wrote:Have you smashed the switch?

The one downstairs? If you mean just activate it, yes. If you mean, I also have to hit it with some weapon I think I have but I'm not sure anymore. Is the "smashing" necessary to get past the leftmost hole?
iwastetimeongames

Postby Catacomber » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:01 am

iwastetimeongames wrote:

The one downstairs? If you mean just activate it, yes. If you mean, I also have to hit it with some weapon I think I have but I'm not sure anymore. Is the "smashing" necessary to get past the leftmost hole?

No. Once you hit it the hole should disappear. What platform are you playing on?
Catacomber

Postby iwastetimeongames » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:27 am

Catacomber wrote:
iwastetimeongames wrote:

No. Once you hit it the hole should disappear. What platform are you playing on?

iOS. I did go back and hit the switch with my weapon, and that did work. I both got a message I hadn't gotten before about a hole disappearing, and the hole was actually no longer there.
iwastetimeongames

Postby Catacomber » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 am

Yay!
Catacomber

Postby istara » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:47 am

iwastetimeongames wrote:iOS. I did go back and hit the switch with my weapon, and that did work. I both got a message I hadn't gotten before about a hole disappearing, and the hole was actually no longer there.

Finally! Me too.

And I don't want to be the World's Worst Whinger, but could there perhaps be a tiny clue included that you need to hit that button, not tap it? (Or was there such a clue but I missed it?)

;)
istara

Postby Catacomber » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:23 am

istara wrote:
iwastetimeongames wrote:iOS. I did go back and hit the switch with my weapon, and that did work. I both got a message I hadn't gotten before about a hole disappearing, and the hole was actually no longer there.

Finally! Me too.

And I don't want to be the World's Worst Whinger, but could there perhaps be a tiny clue included that you need to hit that button, not tap it? (Or was there such a clue but I missed it?)

;)

No. : ) There are a lot of secret switches like that. If you explore the dungeon you will find them. As Gyffes used to say, "Seek and you shall find." One can always ask in the forum. And what's the fun of not staying up all night trying to find the switch. : ) If a hole blocks your path, there's a way to remove it.
Catacomber

Postby iwastetimeongames » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Catacomber wrote:
istara wrote:

Finally! Me too.

;)

No. : ) There are a lot of secret switches like that. If you explore the dungeon you will find them. As Gyffes used to say, "Seek and you shall find." One can always ask in the forum. And what's the fun of not staying up all night trying to find the switch. : ) If a hole blocks your path, there's a way to remove it.

If I can appropriate istara's message, the point is not finding secrets – we did find the secret switch. The point is that, those of us who (I think) honor the richness of the game – along with the intellectual side of adventure videogames in general – by paying attention to all details, find it frustrating that a random factor (like hitting the switch with a weapon, which is not at all usual or 'thematically' connected to the specific quest, rather than pressing it *after painstaking research*) should be the one preventing that application and attention from being rewarding. For those more random deviations the game has shown an ethos (which I find commendable) to help gamers understand they have to act differently through hints, either those yellow posters, or, for instance, by naming with a specific, different name a more usual kind of monster.
iwastetimeongames

Postby Catacomber » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 am

Most people who play our expansions know after awhile that there are these things you can do with a switch---tap it (use it), hit it, or cast a spell. Argimon's dungeons are particularly fiendish for causing you to scratch your head in this way. And I can't add hints to Argimon's dungeons as I promised long ago that I wouldn't change his dungeons.

Many people don't like hints. Some people do. So my general modus operandi is to put a hint in if the testers feel it's necessary. Sometimes I've put hints in and been told to take it out or modify it by the testers because it makes the game play too easy. The Quest has always been a "hardcore" game and "hardcore" players are not fond of hints. I have to consider those players as well.

If you've played Legacy and I know Istara has----it would drive you crazy but I loved the difficulty and so did the many people who played it.

There are a lot of little odd things you'll come upon in our expansions---especially as mentioned---in Argimon's dungeons where you might have to use a spell not only on a switch but sometimes on a wall relief or a fountain. Many wall cracks contain objects or traps. Some switches might teleport you.
You can always come to the forum and ask. After awhile, these things I think become usual.

I can't please everyone as far as hints are concerned but am always around to answer questions.
Catacomber

Postby iwastetimeongames » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Catacomber wrote:Most people who play our expansions know after awhile that there are these things you can do with a switch---tap it (use it), hit it, or cast a spell. Argimon's dungeons are particularly fiendish for causing you to scratch your head in this way. And I can't add hints to Argimon's dungeons as I promised long ago that I wouldn't change his dungeons.

Many people don't like hints. Some people do. So my general modus operandi is to put a hint in if the testers feel it's necessary. Sometimes I've put hints in and been told to take it out or modify it by the testers because it makes the game play too easy. The Quest has always been a "hardcore" game and "hardcore" players are not fond of hints. I have to consider those players as well.

If you've played Legacy and I know Istara has----it would drive you crazy but I loved the difficulty and so did the many people who played it.

There are a lot of little odd things you'll come upon in our expansions---especially as mentioned---in Argimon's dungeons where you might have to use a spell not only on a switch but sometimes on a wall relief or a fountain. Many wall cracks contain objects or traps. Some switches might teleport you.
You can always come to the forum and ask. After awhile, these things I think become usual.

I can't please everyone as far as hints are concerned but am always around to answer questions.

Gotcha. It's good to know that these things can happen and are planned to be in place.
iwastetimeongames

Postby Xiqwa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:53 am

Hi! First time poster Loooong time player and fan. I have looked evertwhere! Can’t find switch.

Cheers!
Xiqwa

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 am

Catacomber

Postby Xiqwa » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 am

Thank you! You’ll never guess what happened immediately after I posted this query? Haha...!
Anyways, I love each and every one of you that aided in the creation of this monumentally enjoyable work of interactive art, Cheers! If you ever have need of a stone carver... contact me! Mwah!
Xiqwa

Postby Catacomber » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 am

Cheers!
Catacomber

Return to Thor's Hammer