can't access the master of the serviles at level 18

Forum for discussing Thor's Hammer

can't access the master of the serviles at level 18

Postby mangoose » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:35 am

I just got to level 18 and returned to the lair of the serviles, but the door to the master still tells me to come back when I'm at least level 18. I've tried re-reading the sign, repeatedly trying to open the door, attacking the door, using a wand of strong unlock on the door, but nothing happens.
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Re: can't access the master of the serviles at level 18

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:17 am

mangoose wrote:I just got to level 18 and returned to the lair of the serviles, but the door to the master still tells me to come back when I'm at least level 18. I've tried re-reading the sign, repeatedly trying to open the door, attacking the door, using a wand of strong unlock on the door, but nothing happens.

That's because you need to be higher than level 18. The Royal Scrivener wrote the sign wrong.

That qualifies as a bug that needs fixing and I've already fixed the text but need to know what item you'd like for finding that little glitchee.

If it's something that could be hard or light let me know.

And if it's something that could be preenchanted let me know with what. Or if you want everyone to be able to enchant it, let me know.

And what you'd like to call it. : ) Mangoose's ........
Catacomber

Postby mangoose » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks!

Could the item be a necklace called "Mangoose's Stormy Eye," which grants high magic resistance? Whatever percentage you think is fair, but preferably higher the 30% resistance amulet I have now.
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:40 am

mangoose wrote:Thanks!

Could the item be a necklace called "Mangoose's Stormy Eye," which grants high magic resistance? Whatever percentage you think is fair, but preferably higher the 30% resistance amulet I have now.

Can do. :) Thanks.
Catacomber

Postby istara » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:55 am

Can someone please remind me where the Serviles lair is?

Thanks!
istara

Postby mangoose » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 pm

South-east of the lake at the west of humbria. I believe it's called tyralon lake, or something.
Hail Mersant!
mangoose

Postby istara » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Is there some way to get higher than level 18? I've already slept two weeks and killed all the main stuff twice, and I only just made Level 18. Am I missing a good dungeon of high-exp kills?
istara

Postby Catacomber » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 pm

istara wrote:Is there some way to get higher than level 18? I've already slept two weeks and killed all the main stuff twice, and I only just made Level 18. Am I missing a good dungeon of high-exp kills?

Have you gone through the Arena of Pain and Arena of Flames? You can always fight in the base game and Islands of Ice and Fire.
Catacomber

Postby istara » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 am

Catacomber wrote:
istara wrote:Is there some way to get higher than level 18? I've already slept two weeks and killed all the main stuff twice, and I only just made Level 18. Am I missing a good dungeon of high-exp kills?

Have you gone through the Arena of Pain and Arena of Flames? You can always fight in the base game and Islands of Ice and Fire.

Pain is done. I think Flames too - can you please remind me where that was?

Thanks!
istara

Postby Catacomber » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 am

Arena of Pain you get to from Brasshorn's Cave. Flames you get to from Beadwell Village.

Did you go through Hobbes Hole? You get there from the Whispering Maze.

The Vikings respawned for me.

I think DeMenchev finished at level 21.
Catacomber

Postby Catacomber » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:41 am

If you have a problem, I can lower it. If it weren't for you, playing Legacy I'd have been lost. Remember the old days? : )
Catacomber

Postby istara » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 am

Catacomber wrote:If you have a problem, I can lower it. If it weren't for you, playing Legacy I'd have been lost. Remember the old days? : )

I finished at Level 16, having done every single quest except the Star Blade one (I've done it, I just refuse to hand it in if she's going to downgrade my sword!) I haven't yet done the base game though (as I did that previously).

I slept a week and got to 17. Then did the same and got to 18.

Now hacking my way up to 19!

Do different races gain exp at different rates?
istara

Postby DeMenchev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 am

Isn't Lord Stonely's Honor better than the Star Blade?
I don't think the exp is any different for different races.
DeMenchev

Postby Catacomber » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Istara, if it's really too hard, I can lower it to 17.
Catacomber

Postby Elllsid » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:57 am

Ooh! If we're voting, I vote for lowering. :)

Took me forever to get to 18, I don't think I have it in me to make it to 19...
Elllsid

Postby Catacomber » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:03 am

OK. Will lower to 17. : )
Catacomber

Postby istara » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:45 am

It's not that it's too hard, just a very very very long grind of endlessly sleeping for a week (if there was even a "Sleep for a week" button it would help!) If anything it's easy rather than hard in so far as the monsters become a walkover past Level 17.

It would be interesting to have a poll of what level most people finish at, and maybe set it according to that?
istara

Postby istara » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:46 am

DeMenchev wrote:Isn't Lord Stonely's Honor better than the Star Blade?
I don't think the exp is any different for different races.

It's better than the auto-enchanted Star Blade.

But if you enchant the Star Blade yourself, you can add Drain Mana + Drain Health, which is the holy grail of weapons ;)
istara

Postby Catacomber » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 am

istara wrote:It's not that it's too hard, just a very very very long grind of endlessly sleeping for a week (if there was even a "Sleep for a week" button it would help!) If anything it's easy rather than hard in so far as the monsters become a walkover past Level 17.

It would be interesting to have a poll of what level most people finish at, and maybe set it according to that?

I set it to 16. That should work. : ) The thing is--I thought most people would be playing while also going in and out of the base game and Ice and Fire, leaving a tantalizing bit in Thor's Hammer not yet finished until you can come back to it later when you're a higher level. You could also go in and out of HOLI and go back--I realize HOLI is not out yet for ios and Android but it is out for Steam.

There are many spots like that in our lower level expansions---mostly to satisfy the higher level players who are aching to kill something challenging but want to play through the lower level games for the story and the quests. You're not meant necessarily to be able to get there right away. Every low level expansion more or less has a higher level dungeon you can't access until you've leveled up unless you're already high level and want something to tangle with---have to accommodate everybody.

Most people playing would already be level 17 at least because they would have finished Ice and Fire---have to give them a challenge. It was actually the least challenge I've ever given the higher level players--wait until Celtic Rift and the others. OMG.

Have to balance our lower level games to appeal both to anyone starting out and to anyone going in at a very high level but who want to engage with the story and quests. For example, in Celtic Rift, there are a few monsters with fortify melee 70% percent. Those are not for lower level players--they're there to give the higher level players something to fight and be happy. : )

Just avoid those dungeons in the future unless you're a higher level but here I changed it. Probably not the best solution but it's changed.
Catacomber

Postby istara » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:33 am

Catacomber wrote:The thing is--I thought most people would be playing while also going in and out of the base game and Ice and Fire, leaving a tantalizing bit in Thor's Hammer not yet finished until you can come back to it later when you're a higher level. You could also go in and out of HOLI and go back--I realize HOLI is not out yet for ios and Android but it is out for Steam. =

With the original Quest I tended to play each new expansion with the same party. But after a while it got too easy (except for when you added handicaps like diseases that couldn't be cured until the end). All my stats were just so maxed out and my enchanted gear was absurd! I was so insanely wealthy that money never mattered, and it really reduced the challenge.

Now, when an expansion is marked entry level, I start with a new party so it's a bit harder. I had already played Ice & Fire and the Base Game with a different party, so I didn't think to replay them again with this party.

Incidentally please let me know any changes I should make to this page re starting levels - I can always do a second column if they're very different for HD vs Classic: http://rpg-site.com/thequest.html
istara

Postby Catacomber » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:32 pm

The starting levels for the expansions will be different for all the expansions except the HOLs.

Celtic Rift will start at level 15. The expansions that come after it will be bumped up as well. I'll let you know as they come out. Thanks.
Catacomber

Postby istara » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Catacomber wrote:The starting levels for the expansions will be different for all the expansions except the HOLs.

Celtic Rift will start at level 15. The expansions that come after it will be bumped up as well. I'll let you know as they come out. Thanks.

Great okay! I'll start rejigging that page.

Will the classic ones also remain in the App Store?
istara

Postby Catacomber » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:10 am

I imagine they will, at least for awhile. That's a question to ask Elendil. I would guess it depends on how beasty they might be about the classic and HD versions co-existing.
Catacomber

Return to Thor's Hammer