Conflicts if Jumping Ahead?

Forum for discussing Thor's Hammer

Conflicts if Jumping Ahead?

Postby Tract » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:34 pm

I have recently started Thor's hammer, and am worried that I may be messing it up. I basically have been tuning all over accumulating quests and going places before even going to the Grim Well yet. Will doing this cause conflicts or mess up the progression? Will going places too early mess me up? The Chillbreath Keep guy won't talk to me, and Lord Aldmage won't either. Is this because I have not progressed right?
Tract

Re: Conflicts if Jumping Ahead?

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:01 am

Tract wrote:I have recently started Thor's hammer, and am worried that I may be messing it up. I basically have been tuning all over accumulating quests and going places before even going to the Grim Well yet. Will doing this cause conflicts or mess up the progression? Will going places too early mess me up? The Chillbreath Keep guy won't talk to me, and Lord Aldmage won't either. Is this because I have not progressed right?

The important thing is to follow the directions of the guy you meet when you first arrive there. Find Lord Stonely and the follow Lord Stonely's advice to,talk to Old Shaman right there on the first floor. Beyond that, I don't think you can mess up but you can delay your progress.
Catacomber

Postby Tract » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for the response Cat! However, I am not 100% sure if I explained myself correctly.

I meant that if i go to a town way before I am sent there. And do stuff there, some of what I do may be related to future pets of the game that I haven't actually reached yet, and will be messed up for when I am actually supposed to do them.

Also, I worry about wandering into a dungeon too early, butchering everything inside with a lovingly overleveled character, and continuing on my merry way without realizing I would need to do stuff there in the future.

With as few spoilers as possible, does Lord Chillbreath or Lord Aldmage actually ever give quests? Because they kinda feel like they are inferring that they do, but won't give them to me YET. Don't elk me what they are if they do, it would just let me sleep easier to know if I am not screwing up.

Also, is the Bloodmail Fortress related to any future quest? Just yes or no please :P it's so tantalizing but I'm resisting sacking the place because of possible quests.

One final question, I've gotten really close to the holy island but have not actually stepped foot on it because of not having the Hammer/not feeling like it's right to do so yet. Is there any harm in showing up and busting some heads for the save the priests quest without being ready to actually challenge Ragnar yet?

Actually I lied one more question D: it's just about a kinda confusing part of a quest which is one of the reasons I got concerned with messing up.

I was wandering around and a guy who said to get Thors Hammer for Jotunheim and smack a statue. This was actually wrote I even got the quest to go to the well. Is it ok that this guy told me to go to here first? Will it mess up the making of a map which I am kinda confused by but I'm sure it will make sense later?

Sorry for so many questions, I was looking forward to playing the expansion for a while and don't wanna mess it up. Most of my questions are yes/no, so if you have the time to answer them, I'd appreciate as few spoilers as practical or feasible! If you don't have time to answer any/all of them that is completely fine too, I just figured I may as well ask :P
Tract

Postby Neverlosty » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16 pm

To give you a bit of context, I've finished Thor's hammer and did pretty much all the quests.

I basically did whatever I wanted and went where ever I wanted.
There were times when I had to go back to a location I've been before, but I never felt I had "screwed up".

As far as I can see, there's no real way to mess up any of the quests in this game by jumping around.
It also feels so much better to just explore everything instead of being pointed at things.

My only advice would be to get Mark/Recall early and mark lots of places, because you do need to travel around quite a bit.
Neverlosty

Postby Tract » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 pm

My main concern is wiping out a dungeon, or especially a dungeon were there is some form of boss, when I may need to do so in a later quest, and will now be unable to complete it, since the guy would be dead. My biggest concern is somthin fluke the base Quest game witch killing Hammer potentially being stolen if you don't make sure to not have it with you, which means you had to either beat the witch quest, or have not started it yet.
Tract

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Tract wrote:My main concern is wiping out a dungeon, or especially a dungeon were there is some form of boss, when I may need to do so in a later quest, and will now be unable to complete it, since the guy would be dead. My biggest concern is somthin fluke the base Quest game witch killing Hammer potentially being stolen if you don't make sure to not have it with you, which means you had to either beat the witch quest, or have not started it yet.

Don't worry about that. Will answer your other questions in a few minutes. The game is very non-linear. Wander as much as you like, as Neverlosty' said, you can't screw up.
Catacomber

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Lord Chillbreath will not give you a quest but if you find his chest he might be thankful.

Lord Aldmage will not give you a quest either. They are both there to flesh out the story a little. That the local lords are more interested in their own interests than fighting the Vikings--this was historically correct.

There is something you need in Bloodmail's Fortress--a sword. : )
Catacomber

Return to Thor's Hammer