Which game to get from App Store ?

This forum is for getting help and discussing the main game.

Which game to get from App Store ?

Postby Tiptoe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:14 am

There are so many Quest games from RedShift, which game includes everything to make life easier for a beginner like me
Thanks
Tiptoe

Re: Which game to get from App Store ?

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:32 am

"The Quest" is the game. Anything else is an expansion, to be played after you have played the game. To see in which order they are best to play, see their description, there will be a recommended character level.

There is also "The Quest Classic". This is how the game was originally released, many years ago. The Quest has received a complete graphical overhaul (and also lots of other small changes/fixes/additions), but it's basically the same game. There are more expansions available, but they are being updated for the new version. (Because most of the expansions are by third parties, it cannot be guaranteed that all will will be updated, of course. It'll depend on the creators.)

We recommend you buy "The Quest Deluxe". Its a bundle of "The Quest" and "Islands of Ice and Fire" (our own expansion) and it's cheaper than paying for them separately.

(Also, we are called "Redshift" or "Redshift Games", not "RedShift". ;))
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Tiptoe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Elendil / Redshift wrote:"The Quest" is the game. Anything else is an expansion, to be played after you have played the game. To see in which order they are best to play, see their description, there will be a recommended character level.

There is also "The Quest Classic". This is how the game was originally released, many years ago. The Quest has received a complete graphical overhaul (and also lots of other small changes/fixes/additions), but it's basically the same game. There are more expansions available, but they are being updated for the new version. (Because most of the expansions are by third parties, it cannot be guaranteed that all will will be updated, of course. It'll depend on the creators.)

We recommend you buy "The Quest Deluxe". Its a bundle of "The Quest" and "Islands of Ice and Fire" (our own expansion) and it's cheaper than paying for them separately.

(Also, we are called "Redshift" or "Redshift Games", not "RedShift". ;))

Thank you for the explanation and patience. :)
Tiptoe

Postby Catacomber » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:08 pm

It depends really on whether you like the oldschool graphics or the new HD graphics. There are opinions about both. It also depends on how much content you want to go through how fast. We've ported Hero of Lukomorye I to HD. The work is very hard and the testing takes a long time because of changes. We're not going to be able to port more than two expansions probably a year. So if you want to play our older expansions through, you are better off staying for now with the Quest Classic. It all depends on what you prefer.
Catacomber

Postby Tract » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Just my inexperienced opinion, The Quest HD(now just The Quest) is the way to go. I only recently got into the game, and was on the fence between older school but a metric ton of expansions, or the slick new version with less. I got the newer The Quest and have ZERO regrets. It is packed with content, and is also the platform that will continue to grow. Already there is one expansion not released for The Quest Classic, and Catacomber(who is seriously our lord and savior) is porting old expansions to the new The Quest. The Quest, not Classic, is the way to go for the future IMO.
Tract

Postby Ninjaofquest » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:32 pm

If you're looking to play a lot of Zarista Games's expansions, then for now The Quest Classic is for you. Otherwise, The Quest HD already has two Zarista expansions and the official expansion.
Ninjaofquest

Postby Catacomber » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:31 am

Tract wrote:Just my inexperienced opinion, The Quest HD(now just The Quest) is the way to go. I only recently got into the game, and was on the fence between older school but a metric ton of expansions, or the slick new version with less. I got the newer The Quest and have ZERO regrets. It is packed with content, and is also the platform that will continue to grow. Already there is one expansion not released for The Quest Classic, and Catacomber(who is seriously our lord and savior) is porting old expansions to the new The Quest. The Quest, not Classic, is the way to go for the future IMO.

Only problem is that porting is a huge work and I can't promise more than two a year for HD. I am having trouble keeping my enthusiasm up because of all the things necessary to change and check porting. Celtic Rift is coming along but it still needs more testing. I'm tired and my testers are tired. After Celtic Rift is done--it's a big file-- we're all going to need a few months' rest. I'm surprised my testers stuck with me for Celtic Rift because they tested Thor's Hammer and Luko I without any rest. I actually miss the old classic version. It will always be my favorite. If I could make a new expansion for the classic version I would. It's a lot easier than porting. There also seem to be problems on mobile I never encountered before so I can't say I'm happy. People have to sleep in an inn for a week for some things to show up.

The sad thing for me is that I'd rather be making new expansions than remaking old. It's extraordinarily boring in addition to being tiring. I love our players but I also need to keep my creativity.
Catacomber

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 am

If you'd like to create a new expansion, why not? Maybe create one new after a bunch (or even just one) updated old one? Just like Thor's Hammer. I'm sure your players would understand. ;) (Just an idea.)

As for the problems, as I've said elsewhere, those are highly likely because of changing the expansion while being played (either during testing or after release). This is unfortunate, because it makes testing (much) harder, but if a player plays an expansion normally (it doesn't get changed while it's being played) things generally work (maybe apart from that "globals" thing, but until I can reproduce it, I can't do anything).
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Postby Catacomber » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:32 am

Not a bad idea. But maybe for late 2018. Have to work on HOLII next. :)
Catacomber

Postby Zooberdude444 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Hey if it gives you any more motivation, I will buy every game you release, catacomber. I already have them all but I plan on buying every HD version as well.
The classic version is very much the same as the HD version, but the HD version is more intensive graphics. I think the old graphics are absolutely beautiful.
Zooberdude444

Postby Catacomber » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Aww, that is so sweet and encouraging. Celtic Rift is almost done testing. Will work on HOLII after that. Testers need a little rest though. :). Thanks.
Catacomber

Postby abstractcolors215 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 am

Zooberdude444 wrote:Hey if it gives you any more motivation, I will buy every game you release, catacomber. I already have them all but I plan on buying every HD version as well.
The classic version is very much the same as the HD version, but the HD version is more intensive graphics. I think the old graphics are absolutely beautiful.

I second this, Catacomber. I Love The Quest Classic and The Quest HD, they're the best games of this kind on the App store. (I would buy any and all Quest Classic expansions if you would ever make another expansion for it.) And I will be buying all expansions you make for The Quest HD!
Beckie
abstractcolors215

Postby abstractcolors215 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:57 am

Catacomber wrote:Aww, that is so sweet and encouraging. Celtic Rift is almost done testing. Will work on HOLII after that. Testers need a little rest though. :). Thanks.

Of course! You guys get some rest. No rush. We'll be here and ready to play when they're finished and ready to be downloaded from the App store. :)
Beckie
abstractcolors215

Postby Catacomber » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 am

Thanks! You inspire me. Am working on a new HD expansion based on old Irish folklore while porting HOLII. :)
Catacomber

Postby Bryan Miller » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:43 am

I'm with them as well Cat. Thank you for all your hard work porting the expansions. I'm really glad that the new The Quest has cross saves so i can support you twice as much by buying your expansions on my pc and iphone.

2 ports per year sounds good to me and really looking forward to the Irish Folklore expansion and the HOLII port!

Just wondering, do you know what the recommended level will be for the Irish Folklore expansion yet?
Bryan Miller

Postby Catacomber » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks so much, Bryan. Battlefield Uliada will be starting level 40. Have already started on it.
Catacomber

Postby Bryan Miller » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Catacomber wrote:Thanks so much, Bryan. Battlefield Uliada will be starting level 40. Have already started on it.

Awesome! Looking forward to it!
Bryan Miller

Postby Danadventure » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Catacomber - I have been a fan since Legacy on the Palm so I will buy every game you make from now until the end of time in any order your creative mind needs to develop/convert them! Just keep the adventures coming and I'll be yours for life.
Danadventure

Return to General Discussion