Too many 'free' items in Thor's Hammer expansion

Forum for discussing Thor's Hammer

Too many 'free' items in Thor's Hammer expansion

Postby Drifter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:08 am

This is just my opinion, but I think there are way, way too many free items and gold on the ground everywhere in the Thor's Hammer expansion- even all over the floors of the castle hallways! Total overkill that ruins the fun in my opinion. Is there a reason for this? What especially bothers me are all of the enchanted items on the ground - amulets, arrows, etc. I believe that most players don't want items handed to them so easily, but would rather earn them through exploration and battles.

I have not seen so many free items littering the ground in any other Quest expansion so far, and I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

It would be great if these items all over the ground everywhere could be removed in a future update.

edit: Oops. Just now realized I posted this in the main game section. Mods, please feel free to move the thread into the Thor's Hammer sub-forum.
Drifter

Re: Too many 'free' items in Thor's Hammer expansion

Postby Drifter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:29 am

I would like to also add that I am a huge fan of The Quest, and have bought all of the Android expansions released so far. I really appreciate all of the hard work the developers have put into the game, but I really hope the issue with all the free items on the ground can be corrected in a future update. Even though this is a fantasy game, it kills believability when items and gold are in the middle of the castle hallways and no one else would ever pick them up. :roll:
Drifter

Postby Catacomber » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 am

Just leave them lying on the ground if they spoil things for you. There's a reason why they're there.

I put arrows and repair hammers and lockpicks on the ground because they were requested by the betatesters who begged for them, reasoning if they needed them other players would too and so far no one really has minded.

I put a LOT of items on the ground because the expansions are made not only for people who play the expansions embedded in the base game but also for the people who play the standalone game. Those people don't have access to the shops in the base game. So, when they start the game, they don't have spellbooks like Mark, Recall and Paralyze that are more or less necessary for surviving and getting around. I try for them also to put enough shops in but it has happened in the past and can happen now that I forget a certain level of shop and then it winds up I have to do an update to add an item needed for a quest somewhere.

Also players of the standalone game don't have much gear to start with, so I scatter those nice enchanted objects for them so they can survive. Maybe you're playing the standalone game but if you're not consider their situation--they start the game with a decent amount of gold and some basic spellbooks and some gear. Then they face the same monsters those who are playing the embedded game face. Now playing the embedded game I have fantastic gear accumulated over all the expansions. But they don't and they have to survive. I have mark and recall and dozens of wonderful spells so I can mark by a potion shop or by a blacksmith for repair but they don't. I can Town Portal but they can't.

So all the expansions will always have free items scattered on the ground---items that were specifically requested be scattered by the testers and items that those playing the standalone game will most likely need.

I'm sorry if that spoils your fun but have to consider everybody.
Catacomber

Postby Drifter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 am

Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't considered those who play as standalone.

Still, it's a bit strange. Do items really need to be scattered all over the middle of corridor floors in the castles? Couldn't they at least be placed in containers instead?

By the way, thanks to all of you for making such a great game. ;)
Drifter

Postby Catacomber » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Three considerations-- our medieval ancestors were notoriously messy. Tossing chicken bones all around.
If I put too many containers in one spot, sometimes their contents all fall out on the floor.
It will take longer to port the expansions if I'm tidier. But that's not the reason they're on the floor. If they wind up there anyway, why bother? We tried to explain the phenomenon of shelf and barrel contents falling out on the floor sometimes miraculously by blaming 'The Winds of Change' -- a disturbance in the mana stream. This can happen randomly after you've played a lot of expansions.
Catacomber

Postby Drifter » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:27 am

Catacomber wrote:Three considerations-- our medieval ancestors were notoriously messy. Tossing chicken bones all around.
If I put too many containers in one spot, sometimes their contents all fall out on the floor.
It will take longer to port the expansions if I'm tidier. But that's not the reason they're on the floor. If they wind up there anyway, why bother? We tried to explain the phenomenon of shelf and barrel contents falling out on the floor sometimes miraculously by blaming 'The Winds of Change' -- a disturbance in the mana stream. This can happen randomly after you've played a lot of expansions.

Makes sense to me. :D
Drifter

Postby Catacomber » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:15 am

In Caerworn Castle which is coming hopefully later this year---and is a new expansion---will try being tidier and let's see what happens but still have to put items in for standalone player. Perhaps the butler could warn you about throwing things about. : )
Catacomber

Postby Drifter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:19 am

Sounds good. Now I understand the reasoning behind placing so many items on the open ground for these expansions, but a lot of us do play with the main game installed, and it is a bit ... cluttered with all that extra loot laying around. I know this may be asking too much, but would it be possible to have all of the extra items on the ground automatically removed from the expansion if the player has the main Quest game installed?
Drifter

Postby Catacomber » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 am

That's not possible. Just ignore them.
Catacomber

Return to Thor's Hammer