A bug causes game to crash

Do you have any technical problems with the game? Look here.

A bug causes game to crash

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 am

Hi, i just came across your game from spiderweb software forums and got into the quest game that you made. Im prally going to purchase it but ive come across a bug that causes the game to crash. Im playing a windows vista computer 64 bit and the game runs fine. Just sometimes the games crashes and i dont know why. Any info or advice would be cool. Thanks.
deathknight1728

Re: A bug causes game to crash

Postby Druid » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:56 am

I'm not affiliated with the developers in any way, but my opinion is that it is likely the game engine. Redshift made this game with only three people. Their programmer left the company before he could perfect the game engine, so it is a little unstable.
Druid

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:09 am

Oh, ok. Well the game is still great. I was wondering as there are a lot of these expansions, are they all affected with the same problem or did it never get remedied?
deathknight1728

Postby Druid » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:04 am

They can't fix the engine, because nobody understands what the original programmer was doing with it or where he left off. It sounds like you might have more issues than typical, though. The game doesn't crash a TON. Try saving more often? If you go more than a few days in game without saving, it slows down and crashes more.
Druid

Postby Catacomber » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 am

There's nothing wrong with the engine that would cause the game to crash on pc.

Where did you get the version of the game you're playing? My version is very stable on Windows 7.

You can buy the PC version from Redshift for a very reasonable price.

If you're having trouble, it has nothing to do with the engine. The PC version is the most stable as the PC has so much memory. You only run into some problems sometimes on the mobile devices---but those are minimal.
Catacomber

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Well thanks for the help you guys. Im considering buying the game "The quest", there's just one problem, i sent an email to the company and they havent gotten back yet. Its been 2 days so im not really fretting but i was just wondering who i should talk to get the game running under 1.04. It seems that the demo is 1.03, so likely that is why the game is not in the best shape.

If anyone knows who's the best person to talk to about purchasing any of these great games, im all ears. Ill send another message to redshift@redshift.hu
deathknight1728

Postby Elendil / Redshift » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 am

Well, although it's true that our other programmer who mainly created The Quest has left us (I was originally only responsible for the graphics engine), I wouldn't say that I can't make changes to the game. :)

I've fixed quite a few bugs in the game since I've made the iPhone port. However, the PC version is left (almost) as it was and at this point it's just not feasible to do anything with it. Version 1.04 is the only change I made, which fixed one crashing bug related to (I think :), it was quite a while ago) the weapon animation.

Sorry about any crash you might experience, but I can assure you that the game is completely playable on the PC. Just save your progress regularly and you shouldn't have many problems. ;)

I've answered your emails, so soon you'll be able to play the full game. (We never did get your previous mails you mentioned...)
Elendil / Redshift
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues