How did stewe leave redshift?

Post here about anything which is not about gameplay or the site.

How did stewe leave redshift?

Postby Matías111 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:46 am

I've always wondered this. Did he leave because of some big fight or something dramatic or just because he had to move on in life and do other things?:p
Matías111

Re: How did stewe leave redshift?

Postby Catacomber » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:30 am

He is and was a very talented programmer---I don't think anyone else could have squeezed as big a game as the Quest on windows mobile at the time the Quest first came out---2007. The last time I spoke to him via email he was interested in programming that involved more than games. We all have to move on at some point. Some great Greek once said you never step into the same river twice----life is always flowing.
Catacomber

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:49 am

But if the river is good and you love it and it gets you somewhere, you should stay in. : )

The Quest was firstly released in Augusut 2006, by the way. But even Stewe could not finish it without Elendil because Stewe's job was mostly the game system with all the rules, he couldn't make any good graphic engine.

He left because a very simple reason: money. Back in 2007 when there were no big iPhone market and the PDA market already died, we couldn't find any way out and he was very frustrated that we worked so hard on The Quest but the incomes were not enough to keep us alive - at least it was not enough for him. Also, the love of gamemaking was not high enough in him so he got a normal programming job at somewhere else which gives stable monthly income until he retires. : )
But he was a hard worker, that's for sure. I talked with him a few months ago and asked to join again but he said he can't bear the stress of "will we have enough money for the next month or not" situations in this gamemaking area. Here you really have to trust yourself and your talent that the new product will give you enough income to live and start a new project. And it goes on and on all the time with every new project. I can take it - he can't, he loves the safety of a big company above his head but it's normal, usually people like to live like that.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Matías111 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:But if the river is good and you love it and it gets you somewhere, you should stay in. : )

The Quest was firstly released in Augusut 2006, by the way. But even Stewe could not finish it without Elendil because Stewe's job was mostly the game system with all the rules, he couldn't make any good graphic engine.

He left because a very simple reason: money. Back in 2007 when there were no big iPhone market and the PDA market already died, we couldn't find any way out and he was very frustrated that we worked so hard on The Quest but the incomes were not enough to keep us alive - at least it was not enough for him. Also, the love of gamemaking was not high enough in him so he got a normal programming job at somewhere else which gives stable monthly income until he retires. : )
But he was a hard worker, that's for sure. I talked with him a few months ago and asked to join again but he said he can't bear the stress of "will we have enough money for the next month or not" situations in this gamemaking area. Here you really have to trust yourself and your talent that the new product will give you enough income to live and start a new project. And it goes on and on all the time with every new project. I can take it - he can't, he loves the safety of a big company above his head but it's normal, usually people like to live like that.

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I assumed that you guys actually had other jobs and made games on the side:p do you and elendil work on other games besides the redshift games? If so then tell me there names because I love what you guys do(:
Matías111

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:57 pm

You can't develop such a big and complex game like The Quest in a part-time job... We had to work on it every day during 18 months. (And it was a very hard 18 months, usually games like this needs much more developers and time.)

Sorry but no, we are not working on any other games, we make different things in our spare time. Elendil loves to experiment in programming while I'm writing books and drawing pictures. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Matías111 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:You can't develop such a big and complex game like The Quest in a part-time job... We had to work on it every day during 18 months. (And it was a very hard 18 months, usually games like this needs much more developers and time.)

Sorry but no, we are not working on any other games, we make different things in our spare time. Elendil loves to experiment in programming while I'm writing books and drawing pictures. : )

Oh ok(: well I'm sure that you would agree that those 18 months were worth it!
Matías111

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 am

Of course. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Turtleman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

As good as Quest is I figured it was on probably over half the iPhones. I don't know how many that would be but it has to be a lot. This is too cool of a game not to be noticed that widely. It'd be a real shame if I'm wrong about the percentage of iPhone users who have it.

Do they give the developers any idea what market share their app has?
Turtleman

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Yes, of course nowadays the iOS gets almost all Quest sales - but from 2006 to February 2009 (the iOS release of the game) our sales were mostly from Palm, Pocket PC and other PDA-like devices. The iOS release was a big boost, but not that big compared to the really popular iOS titles...
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Matías111 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Yes, of course nowadays the iOS gets almost all Quest sales - but from 2006 to February 2009 (the iOS release of the game) our sales were mostly from Palm, Pocket PC and other PDA-like devices. The iOS release was a big boost, but not that big compared to the really popular iOS titles...

The only reason why it doesn't sell well is because not to many people know about it:p you should try those in game ads so people try the quest lite and perhaps theyll get hooked from there
Matías111

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:57 pm

The reason why it doesn't sell that good is because it has very dated graphics engine. Graphics are very important nowadays, and also it's not a popular title, it's a hardcore RPG. But it's OK, it was released years ago and the sales were enough for us. Now we are moving on to the next project. But of course when we'll make a mega super shiny full 3D wonder RPG, we"ll worry about the sales much more. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Matías111 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:The reason why it doesn't sell that good is because it has very dated graphics engine. Graphics are very important nowadays, and also it's not a popular title, it's a hardcore RPG. But it's OK, it was released years ago and the sales were enough for us. Now we are moving on to the next project. But of course when we'll make a mega super shiny full 3D wonder RPG, we"ll worry about the sales much more. : )

Mega super shiny full 3D rpg?:0

And by the way graphics don't determine a games greatness, I prefer good content and out dated graphics instead of terrible content and good graphics:p
Matías111

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Me too, of course! But it's better to have good graphics with good content. : ) We'll have that, someday...
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Matías111 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:23 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Me too, of course! But it's better to have good graphics with good content. : ) We'll have that, someday...

Till that day I'll wait(: you guys make great games!
Matías111

Postby abstractcolors3 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Matías111 wrote:
Sylon / Redshift wrote:Me too, of course! But it's better to have good graphics with good content. : ) We'll have that, someday...

Till that day I'll wait(: you guys make great games!

I WILL WAIT TOO!! IM VERY LOYAL TO YOUR GAMES!! I WILL ALWAYS PLAY THEM!! :D
abstractcolors3

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:35 am

Thank you. : ) We'll try to do our best.
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Zax-fa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

What books have you written? Cause I'd LOVE to read them!
Zax-fa

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks but they're in Hungarian language because we are Hungarians, so you can't read them... I'm writing of course mostly fantasy. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Matías111 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:00 am

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Thanks but they're in Hungarian language because we are Hungarians, so you can't read them... I'm writing of course mostly fantasy. : )

*enrolls in hungarian class*
Matías111

Postby noobpod » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Are there any ebook versions? We could always get by using a barely-decent translator xP
Noobpod
noobpod

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 pm

No, there are no ebook versions, sorry. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Return to Off Topic