Eyeland-Quest Expansion

A place to discuss Eyeland by KGold and Eyex.

Eyeland-Quest Expansion

Postby KGold » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi everybody!

Me and my friend are making a new expansion for The Quest. It's called Eyeland and we're using the biggest map for it.
We started it a few months ago and we finished the main quest and we are working on the sidequests.
More exactly, we were working.
We started Eyeland with an edited Base file. The problem is that it would crash on your devices because you're using the original Base file, of course. But we have a backup that works with the original file. I'm afraid we have to rebuild it from that condition. If there's no hope.
But if somewbody knows what to do with the file(s) to make Eyeland work, post it. If we manage to continue without rebuilding, it'll be ready around the middle of the summer. If not, it'll be ready around the end of the summer.
So if you know the solution, please post it.

And stay tuned! Coming soon!
If you have been really too busy,
And you feel your head being dizzy,
It's recommended to have a rest,
I have a good offer-play the Quest! : )
KGold

Re: Eyeland-Quest Expansion

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 am

I just wrote about this to Elendil and he said it's impossible to fix this problem, exactly because you modified the original base file which is related to the base game. Everyone must have the original one to run the game.
So I think it's time to use that backup file - sorry! (But we'll check it out again, probably we can find out exactly what happened with your base file between the two saving.)
Sylon / Redshift

Postby KGold » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Currently we're experimenting with exporting in the editor. We're putting the scripts, dialogs and NPCs from the old (wrong) file to the new one. So we'll only have to build the maps maybe. We won't have to rewrite the scripts and the dialogs. :) Now it'll be a lot easier and will take much less time.
KGold

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Huh, at least this function can help you... Good luck! : )

By the way, the whole world was finished, so you have to rebuild all maps?
Sylon / Redshift

Postby KGold » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Sylon / Redshift wrote:Huh, at least this function can help you... Good luck! : )

By the way, the whole world was finished, so you have to rebuild all maps?

We haven't finished the whole world when we discovered that the file was messed up...only the main quest and some smaller sidequests were the only complete things.
Imagine an almost complete surface map with nooo dungeons. Well, we have to rebuild the whole stuff from there...Otherwise, Cat said that we shouldn't use the export functions, because it makes more mess...So a lot of time of work is waiting for us...
KGold

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 pm

I knew there were not much sidequests yet, I just thought you've finished building all maps.

I'm not sure what means 'export makes mess', just try it out and if you don't like what it does, of course a lot of work will wait for you...
Sylon / Redshift

Postby Catacomber » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 am

They mean that I pointed out to them the part of the quest editor doc where Stewe writes under File Menu topic "The export and import are advanced functions – don’t use them." When I talked to Stewe about that he told me not to use them--they were buggy.

When I had to redo HOLII because it was too big a file, I discussed this with Argimon and Martelius because they had big dungeons in the game and we decided not to use export/import, we just rebuilt the whole game from scratch.

We couldn't take the chance that if we made some more bugginess in the game, we'd have to rebuild it again because we knew we didn't have the energy.

Now I've experimented with that import/export function and it doesn't really work that well. So I think Stewe's advice is still good advice. At least for me. : )

I tried to help---I copied all their quests into their backup game and did a few other things but I have a lot to do right now that I'm behind on and have to catch up on. It's their work and I know they'll do what they have to do.
Catacomber

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:58 am

OK, now I know about those buggy functions! Of course the most safe way would be to rebuild the whole world again, but I know how much work is it... Their world is large - not that big like the base game's, but a large one. : )
Sylon / Redshift

Postby KGold » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:29 pm

14x14 map...Well, as I said, the surface map is almost ready, just the dungeons will be harder to rebuild...we larded them with much decoratives. The NPCs don't have soo much text, so they'll be easier. Nevermind, we'll do it!
KGold

Postby Bryan Miller » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 am

How is the expansion going?
Bryan Miller

Postby KGold » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:35 am

Already answered at the other forum : )
KGold

Postby Sylon / Redshift » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 am

What other forum? How is the expansion going?
Sylon / Redshift

Postby KGold » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:49 am

I meant Cat's forum. Bryan asked the same question there. :)
Rebuilding is still in progress.
KGold

Postby Tanner Epilepsy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:57 am

Did you ever release your expansion? I watched the trailers and it looked super fun and I wanna try it :3
Tanner Epilepsy

Postby Bryan Miller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Tanner Epilepsy wrote:Did you ever release your expansion? I watched the trailers and it looked super fun and I wanna try it :3

I would like to know this too. I've been away for a while.
Bryan Miller

Postby KGold » Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 pm

So I'm back... :)

Hey everyone! I know I've been inactive on here for the past years, I've been kinda busy with school you know.

But today, me and Eyex found some old Word files filled with our ideas related to Eyeland. Yeah, we stopped working on it because we were a bit fed up with the buggy editor :) But we didn't forget it! We heard about The Quest II too, which will be created with a brand new editor. Our plans are the following: If the game is out, we'll restart building the expansion with the new program! I really hope that it would be free to get or that we would have permission to use it and unless it doesn't require extremely high scripting skills, we will finish it for you guys. ;)
KGold

Postby TheObsidian » Mon May 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Hey KGold!

I was wondering where the hell you went! I'm glad to see you're still alive and breathing. Good luck with school! TQ2 hasn't been released yet, so you have a bit of time before it comes around. You could tweak your ideas and plots a bit while it's in development since it's been a while!

Nice to hear from you on the forum again!
"This won't stop your soul from getting ripped out, but at least you'll look good when your corpse hits the ground."
TheObsidian

Return to Eyeland by KGold and Eyex